Regurgitation?!

Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
My bird was just chilling on my chest, hanging about and picking at my face when he started to grab my lip and i couldn't see the best, but it looked like he was trying to regurgitate. Should I keep him away from my face?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My bird was just chilling on my chest, hanging about and picking at my face when he started to grab my lip and i couldn't see the best, but it looked like he was trying to regurgitate. Should I keep him away from my face?
Pretty little conure you have there!

Regurgitation is not harmful unless it leads to other undesirable behavior patterns like increased aggression or increased troublesome sexual behavior. Unless the idea of your bird regurging to you grosses you out.

When my birds start to get too worked up in any way I set them down on a perch and maybe redirect their attention. I have had birds hump my hand and I’m not comfortable with that. I would calmly set the bird down without making a fuss or yelling (very exciting!). I have a Meyers who sometimes bites if he’s too excited. So when I notice he’s getting like that I put him down on a perch or in his cage.

So if he starts to regurg and you don’t want him doing that, set him down . Since he wants to be near you he may learn that you don’t like that and stop regurging. That’s my best way of stopping an action i don’t like. If you can note what you were doing before he started regurging, try not to do that.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated so well above!!

We have a Double, Yellow-Headed Amazon and as a member of the Hot Big Three Amazon can be dangerous during Hormonal Season if one is not being watchful. And, the term watchful is the key. Never let your Parrot have access of your face, etc. without you being able to see them!! "Trust, But Verify" is a strong tool in having a happy life with your Parrot.

Most Reactions