Rescue Cinnamon Conure Update

MydearConure

Aug 2, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello All! It has been a year since we got Ringo. He is a male green cheek cinnamon conure. We rescued Ringo from a Parrot Sanctuary in August 2019. He is 5 years old now, and when we received him he bit hard to the point of drawing blood out of your skin. However, he bites less and less as he has grown to know and trust us. Now it's only when he is angry or doesn't get his way... :). After 3 months, his wing feathers got long and he was flying high. So, we decided to get his wing feathers trimmed, but the pet store cut most of his flight feathers very short and he was unable to fly much. He was depressed for a while, but he recovered from it, and it took about 10 months for him to grow back all his feathers. He is very smart and has learned some few words and understands more commands. He says some words like What? What are you doing? Where are you? , and recognize the names of the family. In a nutshell, he is a happy little bird, who enjoys taking a bath, going for a ride, enjoying music and "birds" videos on TV -youtube. The problem now is that he is very destructive and chews paper, wood, cloth and any material he can find. He stays calm only 10 minutes and after that he is on the floor looking for something to get busy. He does not like toys, and he wants to be on my shoulder all the time. How can I get him to stop forcing his way on me and my daughter. Thanks :gcc:

Attachments

• 20190825_150920.jpg
    20190825_150920.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 77

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I’m glad Ringo is such a happy dude :). Does he have a play stand? My conures are all massive chewers - I think it’s just a parrot thing. I cringe, but they chew through wood and palm shredders like its going out of style - I just buy their favorite chewables in bulk and replace them often. I like play stands because I can put a bunch of their favorite toys on there, a few treats and they’ll amuse themselves (at least for a few minutes at a time). I have a tabletop play stand, and one on wheels that I can roll around the house. Then I can just put it wherever I am and they don’t necessarily need to be on me. I also use the cardboard boxes from my Amazon orders (not deep boxes), cut all the flaps off and throw a whole bunch of wood chunks, pieces of yucca, foot toys, paper towel, small balls, etc in. I put the box on the table and it works a bit like a containment tray - mine climb in and wreak havoc on the goods in the box with slightly less mess that I have to clean up. It took a while for mine to get near the goodies in a box (like weeks), but once they decided that they wanted to check it out it became a favoured place to play. They often shred the box too while playing - good thing I have a constant supply coming in.

I have one conure that is just a cling-on and nothing is going to change that about her.....I put her on a play stand and she flies back to my shirt. I came to terms with it and we’ve just agreed that she’s a shirt-bird (so I have a selection of chewed up shirts that I wear while she’s out). Birds are all so different and I just recommend trying different stuff to see what grabs their attention - no two of mine like the same stuff (except softer woods to decimate) :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So glad you rescued!i didn’t know cinnamon could be male, I though was sex linked to female. Sorry , very interesting!

Most Reactions