Rice Cooker: Safe or not?

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I've been thinking about getting a rice cooker, we eat enough rice for it, but all the one's I've seen have been non-stick inside.

What's the verdict? I imagine that rice cookers only heat up to a certain temperature which should in theory be within non-stick cooking limits but I would like to know if either anyone here knows of a brand that aren't non-stick or if I'm worrying over nothing.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Lol, I thought the title was 'cooked rice?' No info.. carry on..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You need to think a little more 'Old Fashion' regarding a Rice Cooker. Most new Rice Cookers are based around how fast. So, change that to how more traditional and you will start finding styles that are designed to use your Range / Stove and not a self-contained unit. Also, the traditional units commonly make more and I think better rice. The down side is that, they can take a little longer and there is more clean-up. But if you have a Dish Washer, its not a problem. If not, you just soak longer prior to washing. NOTE: Also, you likely did not have enough water to start with!

So, regarding the do it fast and clean it fast stuff; You are correct that the 'normal' operating temperature should be below the temperature in which off-gassing occurs. Problems: All the studies are based on the original Chemistry, application and thickness of that coating, and the original thickness and material type of the base material (stainless steel). None of those are followed today due to price point and a lack of manufacturing controls.

What that means is that thin base mild steel and thin /flaking coatings can fail at much lower temperatures. In addition, as the original studies so very clearly showed, the most common failure occurs because of human's multi-tasking in the Kitchen, commonly with things that have nothing to do with cooking.

Turn the Smart Phone OFF and enjoy Traditional Cooking!

Last edited:
OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Thanks all!
Althoguh I have now discovered stainless steal rice cookers but they are £100 plus (something like $130). So yeah, pot and hob it is for now!

By traditional do you mean on the hob/cooker top in a pan?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I make sticky rice all the time. I use an aluminum pot with a basket to steam the rice. Safe and clean up is easy since the rice gets put in a thin cloth then placed in the basket.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry, been out and about today.

Traditional Cooking is a combination of good Stainless Steel and/or Cast Iron Cookware and taking the time (lower flame (heat setting) to hold and enhance the flavor.

If you do not already do so, try cooking at a medium or lower flame (heat setting), also select the correct burn size for the pot or pan. You likely do this as a norm, but you would be shocked at how few really do understand this simple thing. I was taught to cook by my Mother and my Grandmother. Both had a great fear that I would marry a woman that didn't know how to cook and that I would starve.

Of late, I have been using by Grandmother's cookbooks and have been very happy with the results. She was a young woman in the late 1920's.

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
That's me normal way of life, although the boyfriend cooks with everything one high, our cookware is all ceramic and stainless steel.
Need to pans though but we'll get more stainless steel.

Most Reactions