Right now Salty is.....

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
How long do you train with Mr Biggles? Saltys routine takes 20 min most days now.

First thing in the morning Mr Biggles gets about a half hour of my time in which we play basket ball and incorpirated into the playtime is a little training...then I play with PeterPan and the budgies while Mr Biggles has breakfast. Once all have had breakfast I interact with all of them at times all through the morning and again no set training but just bits of training incorporated into the fun and games. Then they have lunch veggies and fruit...some eat it and some dont but all of them have to do something like shake hands to get their food (except the babies who just get head scratches) Afternoon is the same as the morning I come and go to them as they play out of cage with their toys and we do a little training as we go...just a few mins here and there...time for a wave or a stick up if the wings or a spin /circle or to fetch a ball or pick a particular colour...we really dont have a set training time except maybe in the evenings when we have a longer session of close on a half hour or sometimes a little more when we go through old tricks and try new ones. The same for the budgies except they get a shorter training time as they dont seem to hold their interest in it for as long as Mr Biggles who really likes to play...I have never seen Mr Biggles tire of doing tricks...he can get tired doing one thing but as soon as I introduce a new element he is interested again and he always goes to bed wanting judt a few more minutes playtime :) Thats my usual routine...some days I have to go places like shopping or whatever and they seem to be content on those days to play with their toys and on those days ( 2 days a week) they just get the morning and evening sessions of play time. Training is always incorporated into the playtime so I really dont have set training times. Rereading this I think you were asking how long it would take Mr Biggles to do all his tricks if I were to do them one after the other and I guess hed have the few we have learned done in about 10 to 15 mins...Salty has way more tricks than Mr Biggles .

Last edited:
OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right now Salty is relaxing after his very first, full fledged honest to god soaking. It's so hot here, 93 degree or so, that earlier I had just spritzed him a little, just to cool him off some. He had dried up, and been returned to his boing, and I gave some water in his bowl, coz I knew he must be thirsty. Next thing I know, he is trying to take a bath in this little 3" food bowl. I saw my chance, grabbed the spray bottle, and started to spray him, to augment this little bath he was trying to take. And now, I get the full, wings spread wide, flapping around , joyful bathing that all parrots, indeed all birds, are capable of. It was so great to see this, finally. When I take him into the shower with me, Salty just kinda takes it, no joy or wing flapping. He gets wet but nothing like this. Sounds sort of dumb, the owner getting all worked up over his bird getting wet, but first times are gratifying.
Here is what he looked like.
wrench13-albums-salty-pics-picture16719-20160716-160625.jpg

Oh, and I saw, but could not capture, his third eyelid swiping across his eyeball. I've read about it but never seen one. It's a trait that birds share with some reptiles.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Love that pic of Salty he sure seemed to enjoy his bath in his bowl with your addition of the spray ...Good boy Salty Well Done :) Cool seeing the third eyelid.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Love how funny wet birds look (don't love the way they stink when their wet as much lol). Salty looks happy to be cooled off!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Right now Salty is enjoying the ac in our bedroom, chewing on the bed sheet, sitting on top of my tablet , throwing stuff of the bed, and receiving the odd scratchies and in general making his little amazon self be known. I've been home the last 2 days and I am getting swing of how Geri wakes and feeds him during the week days. I try to stick to her schedule in the mornings on the weekends. The other day he was getting his scratchies, and I fluffed his feathers by his nares and smoothed the others into place. He looked like some kind of weird cockatoo! Oh and also he has stared to say 'what cha doing' almost in context, like right now while I am typing. Makes for a limited conversation, with him asking that, and me replying ' I'm typing about you Salty' over and over. Earlier , I had him by the picture window, so he can peek out outside for a few seconds, and run back the my shoulder or run along the top of the couch and hide in back of the heavy thermal curtains. I discovered he loves walnuts, he will scrape a little bit at a time when he gets a small piece in training and when he gets a treat just because he is so dammed cute and nice. OK gotta go, and help the little woman start the bar b cue dinner. A little piece not seasoned goes on for Salty. None for Tinker, our Cairn terrier, she is allergic.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rickeybird bathes in a huge wok... it offers the shallow water he likes. Then he likes to get blow-dried. I hold the drier at arm's length as he stands on my shoulder and gradually moves as close as he likes... usually about elbow-ish.

I think Salty's family should replace the Kardashians... much more entertaining!

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
What a fantastic idea, I might have to do something like this for my boys and girl.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yah, Edwin, it unclutters the board, so the newbie questions remain long enough to get answers, which is the main reason for the board.
Bragging threads are secondary, even tho we all want to show smart or loveable or heartwarming our companions are. Working with Salty
Makes me realize just how smart parrots, even little amazons like Salty. In some ways he is so oops totally amazon, in some ways like a little puppy because he like to wrestle and play fight with me, but never bite hard, just mouthing my fingers and hand, as I wrestle him to
his back , LOL, almost like WWF style. And he actually looks forward to our training sessions, eager to do his tricks and maybe learn a new one. Right now we are starting on xylophone , with Salty getting familiar with the beater and keeping the x'phone near

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Yah, Edwin, it unclutters the board, so the newbie questions remain long enough to get answers, which is the main reason for the board.
Bragging threads are secondary, even tho we all want to show smart or loveable or heartwarming our companions are. Working with Salty
Makes me realize just how smart parrots, even little amazons like Salty. In some ways he is so oops totally amazon, in some ways like a little puppy because he like to wrestle and play fight with me, but never bite hard, just mouthing my fingers and hand, as I wrestle him to
his back , LOL, almost like WWF style. And he actually looks forward to our training sessions, eager to do his tricks and maybe learn a new one. Right now we are starting on xylophone , with Salty getting familiar with the beater and keeping the x'phone near

That's awesome! I'm still trying to get Ely just to not butt rub everything in site. Birds Libido is like a rats.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Right now Salty is relaxing after his very first, full fledged honest to god soaking. It's so hot here, 93 degree or so, that earlier I had just spritzed him a little, just to cool him off some. He had dried up, and been returned to his boing, and I gave some water in his bowl, coz I knew he must be thirsty. Next thing I know, he is trying to take a bath in this little 3" food bowl. I saw my chance, grabbed the spray bottle, and started to spray him, to augment this little bath he was trying to take. And now, I get the full, wings spread wide, flapping around , joyful bathing that all parrots, indeed all birds, are capable of. It was so great to see this, finally. When I take him into the shower with me, Salty just kinda takes it, no joy or wing flapping. He gets wet but nothing like this. Sounds sort of dumb, the owner getting all worked up over his bird getting wet, but first times are gratifying.

Oh, and I saw, but could not capture, his third eyelid swiping across his eyeball. I've read about it but never seen one. It's a trait that birds share with some reptiles.

Look at that face,those eyes..and a smile on his beaky...yep..I can see Salty grooving on his shower Al :D

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I've seen those Amazon water-works with friends' birds back in NM... Amazons really know how to let loose! I bet it was a grand show.

The Rickeybird hates sprays, only wants to flap in shallow water in his giant wok... sometimes in the sink he'll race back and forth under a gentle stream.

I would have been mortified to see the third eye lid! Didn't even know about that, and obviously haven't seen it, ever! Just looked it up... it's called a nictitating membrane, and starts its sweep from the part of the eye near the beak.

Thanks for the lesson, Salty!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Didn't believe me, Gail? Amphibians have those and some lizards too.
Bird use them as a sort of flight goggles, so the air rushing past their eye lids doesn't dry the eyeball out, and to clear water from the eyes too. I knew about them and it still kinda wierded me out seeing it in the camera . I'd hoped to catch it in a pic but is too quick like a blink, but side to side.

Best news is he took a bath/spray bottle soaking today too , so I may have cracked the code for getting Salty really wet, a good thing in this heat. Not bad for having him for almost a year (he says sarcasticaly).
I guess it's like every one says, you have to keep trying different things. Whether it's baths, or food, or biting and handling, just keep trying different things, some technique or food or treat and .clik, it works.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Oh, I believed you, Wrench! I just wanted to know if ALL parrots have them... apparently they do! And the Rbird hasn't shown me either of his in all these years???? That stuns me. Humbles me in a funny sort of way. I am so glad you posted that. Who knew?
Well, okay, you did! :)

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots

Look at that face,those eyes..and a smile on his beaky...yep..I can see Salty grooving on his shower Al :D

Jim

yeah, Jim, Salty does have like an all the time smile, but I think know it's just the natural curve to his beak in relationship to his head. He's proven to me few times that smile is just ruse, a trick, a feint or a canard , but he's never really bitten me as hard as he might.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
OMG, last nite's training session - Salty is learning to play the xylophone. He picked up the beater ( which was supposed to be lesson #2) and ran up to the 'phone , but dropped the beater before he could whack one of the keys. This is after watching me play it a few times for him. We'll see how it goes tonight, but man, are they supposed to be THAT smart?

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
OMG, last nite's training session - Salty is learning to play the xylophone. He picked up the beater ( which was supposed to be lesson #2) and ran up to the 'phone , but dropped the beater before he could whack one of the keys. This is after watching me play it a few times for him. We'll see how it goes tonight, but man, are they supposed to be THAT smart?

Way to go Salty you will be doing Al out of a job soon and stealing all the gigs and venues from the band..
Salty is indeed really smart. Mr Biggles hasnt gone to music classes yet I think he'd spook if he saw a xylophone coming his way. I put a new perch in his cage a pedi perch for his toe nails day before yesterday and though he tolerates it he is very very wary of it and avoids it at all costs :)

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Awww, I can just see Mr Biggles giving that perch the amazon version of the stink eye. I think amazons do that better then any kind of parrot.
Cockatoos do the crazy bird thing best, macaws the big scary bird , greys have the whole thoughtful bird look, but amazons with head cocked to one side, body slim and the head pulled back a bit, to me, define the skeptical WTF is THAT? look.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Ok, no xylophone music yet, Salty plays with the beater but drops it before he gets close enough to actually hit a key. It's really too big for him, but I can see he gets such a charge dancing around on the table with it, I don't want to change it. I'll be away the weekend, so to nite is his last chance until Monday to amaze Geri and I. Salty sez have a nice weekend everyone, and don't forget to vote in the POTM, It's good practice for November.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Sleeping, after a great training session. But before that we played rough for awhile and some peek a boo. Then he got an impromptu shower and foot bath, cuz my son was playing with the dog who just had her flea medicine applied. Then he played with Salty., so I washed him down and gave him a foot bath (Salty). Dumb. Dinner was pepper chop and yams, so that was a big mess. Training to nite included his xylophone training. He is at the point where he picks the beater up and will drop it onto the xylophone a few times, hitting the keys but not really 'playing' it yet. He knows what I want him to do, it's just taking a little time for him to get it right. Like most tricks, he is eager to please and get it right. We even progressed a bit on the harness training, with Salty obeying an UP request while the harness was on him. Then some more rough play and it was bed time. Nice new light weight black sheet to cover him, and off he went. He zonks out pretty quickly.

Most Reactions

Latest posts