Right now Salty is.....

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Yep Al..The Saltmiester is an amazing dude ;) And Geri..to keep him company in this friggin heat...well,what a gal ya got there buddy!

I just dug up and old a/c out of my garage today and put it in the living room..the one in my bedroom is just too dang small to service the living room also. I was amazed on how happy BB was acting even in the HOT living room..twittling,talking,banging his toys around...Amy?...wellllll...she just sat on her resting perch.

Now that the a/c has been cranking away,its much nicer in there <and in THIS room too> According to the weather knuckleheads,Saturday is supposed to hit 110 degrees with the heat index and be oppressive until Tuesday :eek:.

I hope you have a great time at your "gig" buddy!

Jim

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Fridays training session actually went OK , with Salty let me put the harness on him fully, but was a little nervous. Much better then Thursdays session. What was very cool is that he finally got the last step in another trick we do. I taught him to step up onto a long , round chop stick. He has been doing it well. The final step is to turn the stick vertically and spin the bird around several times. Max used to love this trick, Salty has been hesitant. But he finally let me do it, and he loved it. We actually did the trick 3 times, at Salty insistence. Ha ha , it only took 4 moths of training, but it's a cool trick.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Happppppyyyyyyyyyyyy birthdayyyyyyyyyy, Saltyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! HATCHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Right now salty is having breakfast (eggs) with the family. It's rare we are all here Sun mornings. However last night, I got home from a local show, and was uncharacteristically pretty hammered. Geri was about to attempt doing his trick training. I took over and the poor bird had to try and follow my less then clear instructions, but he did his best, all things being considered. He is still trying to figure out what "Harumoshgimnnshsh" means. Better today after coffee and lots of aspirin. Debating taking him with us to my grandsons b-day party. Lots if kids and one very large bird dog. Nah, Salty will stay home, he won't be able to come out of his cage. Tonight we start animal training. I got Lil plastic animals, like ducks and lambs etc. The idea is to train him on the shapes and bring them back to me. He may be a bit cranky, being left alone for a few hours, but a pine nut or 2 usually fixes that up.
have a nice Sunday every one, and spend it with your birds if you can.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks, Mr. Wrench and family (including Salty, OF COURSE)!

Absolutely spending Sunday with the Rb, who is, as we speak, puffing his chest out and doing his little hop-skip-swagger dance in circles on the floor. It's THAT time of year...

Happy breakfast/brunch/lunch, everybody!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Oh man, we didnt get home last night until almost 10PM, so poor Salty was alone for 6 hours. Too late for training, and I had to rush getting his dinner ( chop with pellets and oat groats) warm an in his bowl. THen I had to hit the sack, and Geri put him to bed. No training. I worry when we have to break his routine. Birds do best when things are always at the same time. I'll know immediately when I get home if i will get the stink eye from him or the usual HIIiii !.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
That is an outrage! Putting work (or anything else, for that matter) before the bird is...
yeah, an outrage!!!!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Salty has forgiven my wife and I for staying out of the house for 6 whole hours! Imagine that! He was wrestling with me just like he always does, and the training session last nite went good too. I introduced a new trick. I have these small life like animals ( some German brand I forget the name). Anyway, I used a lamb ( white) and a bear cub ( brown). I showed both to Salty and named them for him. I then asked him to give me the Lambie. And he did it !

He has been enjoying my special hot pepper chop for the last weeks, few more packets to go and it will be time for a new chop making party.
I made enough last time for 18 baggies full, so he just might be a little tired of it. NOT.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Way to go Salty you are doing great Mr Biggles however not so good he has been looking at blocks (I eventually want him to play with and hopefully stack) however 3 weeks later he is still just looking very distrustingly at them though he has moved a few steps closer to them and even reached out to take a large peanut off the top of one of them seemingly a small sliver of peanut wasnt worth the risk or effort LoL Salty is really doing well with his training sessions... I will have to send Mr B to him for lessons ...Well Done Salty :)

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Twix-Female Parakeet, Twizzle-male Parakeet, foster mommy to my mom's galah- Rosey
Salty has forgiven my wife and I for staying out of the house for 6 whole hours! Imagine that! He was wrestling with me just like he always does, and the training session last nite went good too. I introduced a new trick. I have these small life like animals ( some German brand I forget the name). Anyway, I used a lamb ( white) and a bear cub ( brown). I showed both to Salty and named them for him. I then asked him to give me the Lambie. And he did it !

He has been enjoying my special hot pepper chop for the last weeks, few more packets to go and it will be time for a new chop making party.
I made enough last time for 18 baggies full, so he just might be a little tired of it. NOT.
Would you kindly share your special hot pepper chop. Would love to try it with Yoshi.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Hot pepper chop... just get 3 or 4 each of the hottest peppers at your grocery store, some kale, spinach, some carrots. Cut them small and use a food processor to pulse chop every thing even finer.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Right now Salty is napping, from taking a ride in the convertible to the pet smart, to get some new toys, and avicakes. He goes in his pack o bird carrier, propped up on a cooler, so he can see out. They love him there, and he was so nice, shaking hands with the check out girls and even saying 'hello' to them. He got some new toy and some Harrison glop, which I am on the fence about. First batch, cooked as prescribed came out burnt, and smoked the kitchen up. Second try, cooked much less time, came our better an Salty ate some but dropped most of it.
Well time to wake him up and have some play time. Later , every one.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Going to have to try and make some "chop" for Amy and BB...Al? do you end up freezing any? How long will it stay "nummiable" :rolleyes:

I'm thinking green pepper,carrots,spinach,maybe celery,cuke and raddish.corn?? lol. too much "green"??

Jim

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Twix-Female Parakeet, Twizzle-male Parakeet, foster mommy to my mom's galah- Rosey
Hot pepper chop... just get 3 or 4 each of the hottest peppers at your grocery store, some kale, spinach, some carrots. Cut them small and use a food processor to pulse chop every thing even finer.
Al how does this chop hold up with it being freezed? Do you just thaw and serve or lightly warm it up?

Cynthia

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yes, freeze it. I made 18 baggies of it last time, and that was oh a month ago, we are on the last baggies now. We thaw it to room temp. It can be a bit watery, so I add a little oat groats to it, or some raw orzo pasta, to soak up the water.
Leave out the spinach, I just read that too much is bad for calcium absorption.
Cynth, some parrots like it warm, some at room temp, some even a bit cool.
Get the really small snack baggies, I put 2 heaping table spoons into each baggie.
Salty never finishes ALL of it.
Geri says my chop would make a great base for vegetable soup. Go to the grocery store, take the list of no-no veggies, and go crazy.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Right now,Salty is making every one laugh because..we have been trying to get him so sing "Little Brown Jug", you know " Hahaha you and me, little brown jug how I love thee". For months and months. To night during dinner, he says, perfectly clear "Ha Ha Ha" and then in this gravely deep voice, "you an me " . OMG we are laughing like crazy.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
:34:parrots exert control through cuteness. Beware. lol
My wife gives her bird chop but in installments, Carrots on day when we eat them. kale next day when have salad (yuk), and so on.
OMG I'm chatting about parrot nutrition. :45:

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Well Al, i gave it to him earlier today an he didny like it. Looked at me like i was poisoning him 😐. Then i before i was packing it around 7 in the snack bags i chopped up some cooked sweet potatoes. And i put him there with me to help with the packing and he was helping himself, i realized he likes to eat bright colored veggies, such as the yellow and red peppers and he loved the sweet potatoes. So hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts