safe? Wright's silver cream

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I need to polish some silver and Wright's Silver Cream is what I have here--- It doesn't have much of a scent at all--a mildly fishy smell I guess if you really put your nose in the container..

Anyone know if this is safe for use around birds?
I feel like I have used it around her in the past, but it's been so long I can't remember.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I need to polish some silver and Wright's Silver Cream is what I have here--- It doesn't have much of a scent at all--a mildly fishy smell I guess if you really put your nose in the container..

Anyone know if this is safe for use around birds?
I feel like I have used it around her in the past, but it's been so long I can't remember.

Most polishing products use a finely ground (powder) non-toxic stone or like material to remove a very fine layer of corrosion on specific medal surfaces. If a problem exists it is in the compound (paste like) material, which holds the powder in suspension.

The goal of the combination of the powder /compound is to also trap and hold the fine surface material of the surface that is being polished /cleaned. Most products will turn a darker color as they remove a fine layer of the surface.

The product should never be placed where a Bird could come in contact or eat it as it would tend to stick or coat any surface it comes in contact with. Most all such metal cleaning products will have a very light aroma, which is either the result of the forming of the compound or as an additive by the manufacturer. Any product with strong aroma should be used in a highly ventilated area or outside away from children and Parrots.

Clean away, just keep the kids /Parrots involved in other areas of the house (same level) to assure they keep their busy bills and hands out of the way slowing the process.

As a general statement, even with safe products, Parrots and Kids should be kept away from the work area. I know, much easier to say than do. :D

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Can I use it in a room next to her with her in eye-shot? I know it's quartz but I don't know what its suspended in.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
They make silver polishing cloth. No additive I think just elbow grease!
Sounds like you living kinda posh over there noodles! Silver, historical house full of hand crafted wood....hmmmmm
;)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yaaa, I missed including that point. Wright's Silver Cream uses a PH neutral compound that is inert. The product is safe and can be used with Kids or Parrots in a near by room. Fly or walk-ins are not recommended, especially if they come in contact with the working polishing rag as it contains tiny amounts of Silver.

Have fun making Silver shine.

The Pads can be an issues if they do not include bit of compound that then hold the fine material removed. Most will include such a compound.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
LOL! Thanks guys!
I am actually a thrift-store junkie and I went through a phase where I was only using real silver because I thought, why not? (I got a bunch of old stuff for next to nothing). I am over that now, as I like using the dishwasher haha...
Anyway, it was at the point that I discovered I love shining it. When I moved here, I found a bunch of old silver in a cabinet in the basement and it isn't so pristine that polishing it will harm it, so I am wanting to give it a go :) Very satisfying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts