Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty's Mommie, my lovely lady Geri, was admitted to hospital Wen evening because she was really short of breath. The did tests ( and continue to do them) and found her right side heart was enlarged ( she has already had a stent in place). While there, they also found other issues, like water in her lungs, and they suspect an issue with her GI tract. My poor wife does not do hospital stays well (who does?). The cardio doc called me and they are going to place a second stent and a sensor of some type on Monday. Thru the groin so no open heart stuff ( whew!). The critters definitely know something is up, with Tinker mopping around the house, and Salty being difficult and bitey, because his daily routine is interrupted!! I am dealing with it fine, whats a little blood after all.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so sorry to hear about Geri, Master Wrench. Sending my love and strength her way, and to you as well, with prayers for her swift recovery and hope that she will be home with her loved ones very soon 🙏

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
sending you and Geri every prayer and well wishes. Big hugs to you both.

I always appreciate having a plush fleece throw , to use around my shoulders, or add lap warmth and comfort. It's chilly in the hospital. And warm fleece socks. And a cooler with apple juice, Gatorade, and those little cans of pineapple juice( helps dry mouth from medicine), if not restricted. As I hate pestering them for drinks. Pluss crackers, for nausea . Tea bags, Starbucks instant coffee packets, they provide hot water on request.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
THanks guys, I will convey the nice thoughts to her. Good news is no stomach or lower GI issues, so she is back to semi -liquids ( ice cream!!); she had been on a clear liquid diet for a few days - ughh, clear Ensure, some chemically tasting jello like material. Was pretty bad, I couldn;t eat it. Still looks like the stent & sensor goes in on Monday. She's a tough old bird!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
THanks guys, I will convey the nice thoughts to her. Good news is no stomach or lower GI issues, so she is back to semi -liquids ( ice cream!!); she had been on a clear liquid diet for a few days - ughh, clear Ensure, some chemically tasting jello like material. Was pretty bad, I couldn;t eat it. Still looks like the stent & sensor goes in on Monday. She's a tough old bird!

Huge, Warm Amazon Hugs and Prayers for all of you, dear friend!!

My tough old bird also wishes Geri, comfort as she seriously dislikes hospitals as well.

My brother, who has several stent states that it is not uncommon for them to become clog with time and they are replaced.

Know that your family is in our Prayers.

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
Wrench-
sending hugs and prayers. I am a retired nurse, cardiac, critical care and ER. So I understand the heavy duty stuff you are dealing with (as do many others here) I truly hope your lovely bride has a fantastic outcome and you can get this setback behind you fairly quickly.
the poor critters in our lives sure have difficulties with stuff like this. Not only is their routine interrupted, I believe they have some concept that something is wrong with their peeps and i truly believe they get upset about it

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
When I see her tomorrow, I am bringing a nice big bunch of flowers, and a 8 x 10 glossy of....... a Big Mac ( her fav) cuz that's as close as she will get from now on. Ughh, we will be sharing Salty's. I started to de-junkify the cupboard and fridge.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry to hear of Geri's challenges, you'll be her rock of support and help heal her loving heart. Give Geri a hug for me, will be thinking of her and sending healing energy Monday! Meanwhile Al, remember to take good care of yourself!

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Oh no!!! I wish Lady Geri a speedy recovery!! I truly she gets well soon to go home and cuddle the feathery angels! Cannot imagine the hell in the hospital :c

The sensor will track the pulse? My mother-in-law-to-be had it also installed, after some time she'd have to go back to the doc's office to have it read out, turned out she needed a pacemaker.... After it all is MUCH better.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Al, thinking of you and your lovely Mrs. today, and sending many hugs and prayers. Hope everything goes smoothly and without complications. 🙏

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
SO the procedure went well, she is in recovery and pretty out of it. She is every nurse's nightmare, nothing is good; the food, service, care, none of it good ( to her ). I let her vent for awhile and reminded her of what I went through when I had my quintuple heart bypass operation, with 3 different 3 week stints in the hospital, which took the ire out of her. Most of it is the fact that she is not getting sleep with all the monitoring and checking going on. I hope to be bringing her back home on Tues, but I'll know more tomorrow.

Thank you so much for all the concern and warm thoughts from my ParrotForums family! I let her know!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Tell Geri she has every right to feel grumpy! :) Being woken up constantly for monitor and vital checks is its own form of torture!

Thank you so much for sharing an update, Al. I really hope this is the worst Geri feels and that she's home soon! ❤️

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you for updating, Master Wrench! Such a relief for all of you and us that the procedure went well :) I don't think anybody ever gets any proper sleep in hospital, my hubby certainly didn't after his op! I hope Geri recovers quickly and well and is back home soon 🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts