Should I be concerned about this squirrel?

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
I always have to put 'Nut outside for at least couple hrs a day or I simply CANNOT get ANY work done (I work from home). He LOVES it outside but I made a stupid mistake of throwing a handful of nuts outside onto my patio a couple days ago because I felt sorry for a squirrel.

Now this squirrel keeps coming around trying to get inside the house (he is VERY gutsy) and he even jumped onto the bird cage!! I immediately chased him away of course... but now I have to monitor the cage when it's outside because of this freakin squirrel.... he keeps coming around.

Can my tiels catch any diseases from a squirrel?

Here's a video of that squirrel....

[ame="https://youtu.be/Fizb0LyEfmw"]Squirrel - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Crap... well this sucks! Now I can't leave them outside in the cage without watching it like an owl?? I only fed that squirrel ONCE... big mistake!

I know the squirrel cannot get inside the cage at least but I don't appreciate that he jumped onto the cage :mad: He even came right up to my sliding door trying to get inside he got on his hind legs and pushed on the glass.

Next time I see him I am going to chase him off with a broom... I miss my other house... it had a screened in porch so I had no worries like this. I work in the living room on my laptop and all I have to do is look to my left and I see the entire cage... so I will just have to keeping looking at it a lot to make sure the squirrel isn't back again...

Last edited:

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I have a cure for squirrels.....however it would be most unpopular on this site.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Go get a kids water gun!

Or hang food well away from the house and then take that away as well. Idea to draw it away from the house as a source of food, oh it's not there anymore, it's over here!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mannn... good luck!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
At least it's not a rat LOL ;)

or a cockroach... roaches are my massive PHOBIA!

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Outdoor creatures are often carriers for things they can deal with, that indoor birds can not.

Monitoring that cage when-ever they (your birds) are outside in it, would be wise.

EDIT: Incidentally we seem to have a yearly winter'ish issue with squirrel(s) getting in via gaps by gutter, that I've just now for the second time corrected by having sealed, fortunately I don't believe squirrel babies took up residence yet.

I've decided to get a squirrel hut to provide an alternative to them trying to nest in our home. Maybe do the same to encourage your squirrel to stay off premises.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
You have to watch critters actually pulling your bird through the bars, or killing him through the bars!! I've read about this happening over and over again, and the cage door never opens. Half the time the bird is dead in the cage, killed through the bars by paws or teeth...I'd get him inside, or at least get something around the cage to keep critters out!

This isn't a criticism at all, but I would think twice about ever putting my bird outside in their cage if I wasn't there watching it the whole time. Too many predators that can kill or injured them through the cage, or by knocking the cage over. I've seen videos of a huge hawk knocking over a bird cage. Just be careful and think it through, it only takes a split second for something horrible to happen.

Maybe get some noise-cancelling headphones?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
You have to watch critters actually pulling your bird through the bars, or killing him through the bars!! I've read about this happening over and over again, and the cage door never opens. Half the time the bird is dead in the cage, killed through the bars by paws or teeth...I'd get him inside, or at least get something around the cage to keep critters out!

This isn't a criticism at all, but I would think twice about ever putting my bird outside in their cage if I wasn't there watching it the whole time. Too many predators that can kill or injured them through the cage, or by knocking the cage over. I've seen videos of a huge hawk knocking over a bird cage. Just be careful and think it through, it only takes a split second for something horrible to happen.

Maybe get some noise-cancelling headphones?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yikes, that is scary. This cage is extremely heavy and massive... it would literally be impossible for any such animal or hawk to knock it over... unless it was a lion or elephant. Can a squirrel really kill a tiel from outside the cage? OMG... I HOPE not! :eek: :26: What type of creatures were killing birds through cage bars? If I ever see that squirrel again I will make it regret it! I CANNOT wait to move... I cannot stand where I am living now and am waiting to move into a condo ASAP!! :(

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I no longer think squirrels are cute... they are filthy rats! ... and I now see they do eat birds!

[ame="https://youtu.be/MC03dc5Pgms"]SQUIRREL KILLS BIRD!!! - YouTube[/ame]

I knew this many yrs ago but for some reason it completely slipped my mind :12:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
A few years ago,my brother made the big mistake of making "friends" with "Morty and Fluffy" two grey squirrels. He would throw peanuts onto his landing in the back yard. Eventually Morty and Fluffy got so brazen they would climb Davids pants leg and take peanuts from his hand.

One day David was outside and the door to the basement was open,and morty and fluffy snuck in when he didn't see them.
That night David heard a big ruckus in the basement and went to investigate. He found crap scattered EVERYWHERE! A big 2lb bag of peanuts was torn open and 'nuts where EVERYWHERE! They climbed his work bench knocking tools and such on the floor...they even knocked over a gasoline can! Looking for a way out..It took DAYS for him to get them out.
He no longer feeds the squirrels!!!

Jim

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
A few years ago,my brother made the big mistake of making "friends" with "Morty and Fluffy" two grey squirrels. He would throw peanuts onto his landing in the back yard. Eventually Morty and Fluffy got so brazen they would climb Davids pants leg and take peanuts from his hand.

One day David was outside and the door to the basement was open,and morty and fluffy snuck in when he didn't see them.
That night David heard a big ruckus in the basement and went to investigate. He found crap scattered EVERYWHERE! A big 2lb bag of peanuts was torn open and 'nuts where EVERYWHERE! They climbed his work bench knocking tools and such on the floor...they even knocked over a gasoline can! Looking for a way out..It took DAYS for him to get them out.
He no longer feeds the squirrels!!!

Jim

LOL wow. That's not good. I have learned my lesson, thankfully before anything bad were too happen :eek: :)

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Before we met, my husband kept a large bird feeder. Raccoons regularly raided it. He put a metal collar on the post to keep them off, but they were large enough to climb around it. He tried charging up a capacitor and connecting it to the collar. Late that night, he heard a loud noise. The next morning, there was a pile of poop on the ground next to the feeder. He shocked the crap out of him! It was not a dangerous charge, just electric fence style enough to notice, and the critter stayed away long enough for him to build a bigger collar. I expect it would be difficult to wire a capacitor to the cage, but maybe a little electric fence type shock mat around the base of it? Then again, you'll be spending so much on adaptations that you could just buy those Bose noise-cancelling headphones...

Most Reactions

Latest posts