Should I be concerned about this squirrel?

Before we met, my husband kept a large bird feeder. Raccoons regularly raided it. He put a metal collar on the post to keep them off, but they were large enough to climb around it. He tried charging up a capacitor and connecting it to the collar. Late that night, he heard a loud noise. The next morning, there was a pile of poop on the ground next to the feeder. He shocked the crap out of him! It was not a dangerous charge, just electric fence style enough to notice, and the critter stayed away long enough for him to build a bigger collar. I expect it would be difficult to wire a capacitor to the cage, but maybe a little electric fence type shock mat around the base of it? Then again, you'll be spending so much on adaptations that you could just buy those Bose noise-cancelling headphones...

That's funny... you stuck it to that critter ;)

I keep hearing about "noise-cancelling headphones"... are those something that keep critters away? I have never heard of noise-cancelling headphones before...

Noise canceling headphones are so you can turn down the volume on the bird. They have small microphones, take the ambient sound, and generate a sound that's exactly out of phase with it and play that. The peaks in one set of sound waves will be balanced by troughs in the generated wave. The effect is a nearly silent experience - I think you can still adjust them to hear some ambient noises, and they might not work well with short piercing shrieks. They work great on airplanes unless your seat mate is emitting short piercing shrieks.

Noise canceling headphones are so you can turn down the volume on the bird. They have small microphones, take the ambient sound, and generate a sound that's exactly out of phase with it and play that. The peaks in one set of sound waves will be balanced by troughs in the generated wave. The effect is a nearly silent experience - I think you can still adjust them to hear some ambient noises, and they might not work well with short piercing shrieks. They work great on airplanes unless your seat mate is emitting short piercing shrieks.

Ah I see interesting. I would have no use for that as 'Nut is not loud... he sings here and there but I love it. The squirrel has not come by again thank goodness.... hopefully it stays that way. I think he realizes there are no nuts left... and no new ones being served. :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back