Should I get a second bird?

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I have an alexandrine and I am contemplating getting a second one. There is one that my bird has played with before that is now being rehomed (there's even a possibility that they're brothers from different clutches).

Here are all the cons I have though.

- Increased costs. More toys, vets, etc.
- Training. My bird doesn't live in a cage. He's house trained to fly and poop on his stands. I'm pretty in sync with my bird and generally speaking, don't have any issues with him. Due to my increased work schedule, I don't know how much time I will have training a new bird.
- The new bird is clipped. He'll soon molt into his flights, but everything I have is set up for my bird that can fly. Toys and perches are either hanging from the ceiling or attached to a wall. His food and water are kept up on a desk. The stands I have don't have food or water bowl slots.
- Travelling. I like to take my bird with me on errands or to friends as much as possible. I think it would be way too much for me to do that with two birds though. Would one bird get super upset if I took the other one out?

The big advantage is that my bird would have a friend while I'm at work. I'm leaning towards no though. I would love to hear from anyone about what getting a second bird was like.

Mango7218

Banned
Banned
Jan 20, 2016
Ireland,Dublin
Parrots
Cockatiels,Plum headed parakeet,African grey
Since I have 3 birds if I bring one out the other has company.But when I only had 2 cockatiels the other didn't mind me bringing one out.If you have the money for a second bird then I say go for it but since he is clipped you will need to maybe get him a cage until his feathered moult out or put some perches and food dishes lower for him.

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
If you're leaning towards no already...remember that you can always adopt a second bird, but once you take on that bird you can't easily change your mind. Two birds will likely keep each other company but there is no guarantee they will get along together in the long run and, as you said, it will be twice the amount of cost, cleaning, etc. Some birds would get upset about being separated and others would not mind, but if this new bird ends up attached to your current bird you might see behavioral issues when you leave the house with your current bird, then again it's hard to say because birds are so individual.

I love owning a flock but there are some real considerations. Some of my birds don't get along and while everyone can be out together, that means keeping the birds clipped and setting up play stands where Greenleaf can't get to the little birds and Koda can always get away from Eva. There is more noise and much more mess, and I have to divide my time between the birds carefully or I will see jealousy. Obviously since we just put a deposit on a fourth bird, it's doable and we have no regrets, but it's not for everyone or every bird.

OP
K

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
I still can't make up my mind lol. I told the lady I would answer her by this weekend. I really am not looking forward to double the poop, double the destruction. But I know my life path is going to look really busy for the foreseeable future, and all my bird does when I'm gone is hide on his shower perch in the dark until I come home.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No, do not get a second bird!

Most parrots have already figured out that humans have a habit of going missing near ever day and as long as they have enrichment toys they already have things to do, including getting in their sleep periods. Rarely does the second parrot 'fill in for you' and if they do, that may in fact weaken the bond that you have and in addition there is always: etc., etc., etc...

At the end of the day, if you are questioning the choice - NO is the correct answer. There is nothing wrong with being a single parrot home and that well spoiled parrot does not have to share you!

OP
K

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
Thanks. I have told the lady no. I feel better about the decision. I never really wanted a second bird (well, I would love playing with one, but not caring for it), I just hate that my bird is alone when I'm working / commuting / at the gym.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Have you seen the parrot enrichment e-books that are free for download? Now you've saved money by not having a second parrot, you can go on a toy shopping spree!

Most Reactions