Sick Eclectus, dont know what to do

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Glad to see the vet recommended two things I put out there! I hope they help and he gains weight!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
If he is still having trouble after a course of antibiotics, I would recommend a "culture and sensitivity" test to determine what antibiotic would work best.

I hope he feels better soon!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
I have nothing to add but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your little guy. My heart breaks for both of you. I'm glad you reached out to this forum because if the answer is anywhere it is here, and of course your aviary vet.

OP
G

guzmand44

Jan 13, 2013
Just to provide an update, after his latest vet visit the vet determined that the stool culture showed a form of bacteria known to be resistant to regular antibiotics. He set us up with a 2 part antibiotic to be fed 2x a day, and we started giving him that medicine in combination with the vitamin feedings. After a couple bad days, including one where my boy outright threw up some form of yellow chunky garbage, he has shown massive improvement!

He is now eating a lot more, poop is looking better, he is more social and more active. He still has another week to go on medicine but he looks and feels a lot more solid and stronger, and more alert. I really think the next vet visit will finally have some good news. i will provide an update when i get one!

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Yay! That is sounding really good! I hope the new AB's are finally killing off this infeciton!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's great news to hear, I'm glad he's improving!!!! :)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
So glad to hear about the turnaround.
You r doing a great job with the little guy.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Glad the vet was finally able to figure out what was making your baby sick! Glad to hear he's on the mend!

Most Reactions

Latest posts