Sneezing in birds (cockatiels)

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
My Tiels sneeze most every day but it's not often, 2/3 times per day.
Each sneeze event can be more 2 or more in succession.
The most common time is in the morning just waking up and grooming as you mentioned.
Once Baby sneezed right in my face and splattered me in the face.

Birds can't blow their nose and humans can't sneeze on demand.
Birds can make themselves sneeze to clear things out, it's not a involuntary response (not all the time anyway).

From everything you have said I think it's worth it to have him checked out by a avian vet.
Yes, my tiel also sneezes like 2 or 3 times a day, mostly in the morning or afternoon when he is preening himself. I am now also considering taking him to the vet :) I was wondering if I can spray him right now? (With water) I usually do it every 3-4 days and itā€™s time to spray him, but will he get sick or something? I was lightly spraying him every single day because of the dusting and because he has a issue with breaking off his feathers, but I got lazy and started doing it every 3 or 4 days. Do you think he could be sneezing because I forget to spray him sometimes? When I was spraying him daily he barely EVER sneezed.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Yes, my tiel also sneezes like 2 or 3 times a day, mostly in the morning or afternoon when he is preening himself. I am now also considering taking him to the vet :) I was wondering if I can spray him right now? (With water) I usually do it every 3-4 days and itā€™s time to spray him, but will he get sick or something? I was lightly spraying him every single day because of the dusting and because he has a issue with breaking off his feathers, but I got lazy and started doing it every 3 or 4 days. Do you think he could be sneezing because I forget to spray him sometimes? When I was spraying him daily he barely EVER sneezed.
Like I would catch him sneeze 2 times in a row sometimes (not daily, and to be honest he still doesnā€™t sneeze daily. I just got a little worried because Iā€™ve never seen him sneeze 3 or 4 times in a row at once.)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi,
I think your bird has a multicolored beak to go along with his multicolored facial feathers.

Yellow cockatiels have pink beaks. Grey cockatiels have darker, grayish or horn colored beaks. Your bird has pied coloration on his head and so maybe has a pied beak.

Notice that there is a grey spot on his face next to the grey part of the beak.

???

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts