So how old IS he??

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
When I got Sprite from his breeder I was surprised to find that the place where it said "Hatch Date" was blank :( I am wondering how old he was when we got him, to find out how old he is now. This will really help me better understand his behavior!!

When we got him, he had tons of pin feathers on his head. He also still had a couple tail feathers coming in. He was smaller than an adult GCC. I have some pics of him the day he came home:

Alright I cant find the pics :( Maybe someone could tell me?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi Atwee maybe i can help. Green Cheeks go through a sort of mini molt at about 4 to 5 months. Thats when you see heaps of pins around the face & head. They then have another molt at 12 months.

The fact that his tail hadn't grown out properly when you got him I am wondering if he wasn't a lot younger say 8 weeks. Which would mean he hadn't fully feathered out at the time he weaned. So i would guess that when you purchased Sprite he was only not long weaned & about 8 weeks old.

Last edited:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
My breeder messed up Merlin's hatch certificert by putting a different band number on it.

I just gave her a call, told her the proper band number and double checked the hatch date.

I'm sure your breeder will have logged all the chicks, so check! :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Maybe if you contact the breeder and give him the band number he has a record?
Doesnt have a band :/

Well, I'm sure Pedro is correct as she breeds them. I would use what she said and go from there to figure out his age. And then you can give him whatever hatch date you want like I did to Pete. I made his on Valentine's Day knowing the breeding season of Yellow Crowned Amazons and picking a day in that range.

If you bought him directly from the breeder, maybe he has a record of the sale and can still tell you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts