Something is up with my Green Cheek

Kylaa

Dec 7, 2015
Hello everyone,
My name is Kyla and I have an eight month old green cheek conure which I do not know the gender of but i refer to my conure as she. Her name is olivia. I haven't taken her to the vet yet because she had vet check ups 1,2, and three months after her hatch date. I have the certificates of her vet visits and her vaccinations and I was waiting until january to take her, hoping she would have fully completed her malt by then. She still has a few pin feathers but for the most part she is done.
This morning when i woke up olivia was acting strange, she was still in her hut and usually she is up and on top of her cage by then. I took a look at her and placed my finger in front of her prompting her to step up and she refused. At this point i got worried she might be ill. However ten minutes later she came out of her cage. Her balance is great. Her wings and eyes are perky. Her poop is normal. She is not fluffed up. Her feet are normal temp and she has no discharge at all. I know this does not rule out the possibility of being sick.
The thing is she just seems to want to be left alone, like shes on a mood. I have read about conures reaching sexual maturity before one and I was wondering if this could be the cause of her moodiness. Everytime we spend time with her and pet her she makes the regurgitating motion or will rub herself on our fingers, which I read is a sign of choosing a mate. She is my first bird and I am really clueless as to what is happeneing right now. She is always really sweet and loves attention but now she wants me to leave her alone so im giving her her space.
Just some info on her habitat she has a large enough cage(i will post pics) with plenty of toys. She doesn't really go inside the cage until bed time though. Her cage door is lways open and she can go freely from inside to the top where her birdy playground is. Sometimes she will walk around the house when she gets bored but everything is bird proofed, no poisonous plants or anything she could eat or get sick from. Her wings are clipped. She eats the kaytee brand parrot and cockatiel food. In addition to her kaytee food she gets fresh veggies and some fruits, all which i have checked and double checked are safe for her and i feed them in the moderation that is suggested. I dont know her weight because i dont have a small enough scale to weigh her. I give her the ecotrition vita sol multivitamin drops every other day in her water. She gets fresh water and food every day. I dont allow perishable food to stay in her cage for more than an hour. She goes out with us. She will ride on my shoulder in the car and stay on my shoulder when we visit the park take a walk or go to the store. We dont spray any type of sprays in our house. And when i do clean i use mild soap and water for almost everything and open up the windows just to be on the safe side. I give her cage a wipe down every day and a complete clean once a week. When i do clean the cage i use a drop of dawn dish soap and just scrub everything clean and rinse completely and let it air dry.
I don't know if I am missing any information but I just really want to know if any of you have any ideas of what could be going on with her. Thank you
-Kyla

Most Reactions

Latest posts