Soon to be bird owner, I need help

itspark

Jun 14, 2018
Hi everyone! My name is Parker, and after months and months of research and begging, I've found out that I'm going to get a bird for my birthday this Monday!

This is great and all, but I'm having some trouble figuring out the timing of it all. About a week after my birthday, me and my family are going to be out of the house for a week. Then after that I have two more weeks until we leave again for a few days. My original plan was to get the bird in the time between the two trips and then let my friend (who owns a budgie) care for it for the few days I'm gone. But I really want to get the bird as soon as possible. Would it be ok for me to get the bird before the two trips, leave it at my friend's house, come back, leave it again? Or should I wait? :green:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
You aren't going to like the answers you will be getting.

You need to be able to dedicate your time and energy to your new friend.
He/she can't be something you can put on a shelf when it's not convenient for you.

sorry.
texsize

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
The timing of the trips are out of your control. I don't think it will hurt your bird if he stays at your friends house. People take trips all the time and they board their birds.

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
Along with the posts above I agree wholeheartedly that maybe waiting after the trips would be the best for the sake of the bird. When you first get a bird the new environment, people, sights, and smells are all different which causes quite a bit of stress on their little bodies.
If you truly cannot wait, I would get the bird AFTER the first trip as that is the longest time away from home. The more time you are able to be around the bird at home is better. But congratulations and Happy Birthday!

OP
I

itspark

Jun 14, 2018
Thank you for helping out. I'm sorry if it came across like I'm the type of owner to abandon my bird or neglect it. I have done lots of research and I plan to give my bird lots and lots of attention. I was just wondering how soon it is possible to get the bird without harming it and damaging its chances of forming a bond with me. Thanks again for the response!

OP
I

itspark

Jun 14, 2018
That is what I was worried about, I wasn't sure if it would hurt the bird to stay somewhere else so soon after adoption. Thanks!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Why do you HAVE to get this bird on your birthday? Why not wait until all your traveling is done and you are back home when you are done traveling? It's not really fair to adopt a new bid and expect it to be okay with you leaving for several weeks after you get it.

If you are under 21 and still live at home with your parents, I highly recommend you wait to get a bird until you have a stable income of your own, are done with all schooling and are not traveling. So many times I see students/teenagers excited to get a companion parrot, they do but with such a hectic life (traveling, friends, outside avtivities, school, work, etc.) your life is changing and shifting SO much that it really isn't fair to throw a bird into that equation unless you know you will be at home every single day, for at least a few hours to play with your bird.

Pets of any kind in general don't do well with being brought to different houses to be watched by strangers. If you can't be there every single day to care for your pet, then don't get one.

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
It's probably best that you get your new friend after your trips.
A new pet, a bird especially, is quite a lot of responsibility. They need companionship and interaction, so leaving them alone as soon as you get them won't be good for them.
Get everything set up, go on your trips and hen you're back and not likely to leave them alone for days t a time, that's when I'd go ahead and get your new friend.

I agree with the user above, if you're young a bird may not be the best kind of pet.
I'm not going to say "no, definitely not". I don't know what kind of person you are, you may be a great match for a parrot, but if you have a hectic lifestyle and tend to be away a lot it isn't the best choice.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
That's tough, I know you want to bring him home as soon as possible, but the idea is that your new bird spends his first couple of weeks settling-in to his new home, getting used to his new surroundings, the new people in his family, and most of all his new, daily routines. So if you just bring him home and then take him right back-out, leave him at your friend's house where he's now at the second new house with new people and new routines in a week, then a week later you bring him back to your house again, then 2 weeks later he's brought back to the friend's house again, I mean, that's too much for a new baby to take...It's only going to confuse him, possibly scare him and cause him anxiety and stress, and potentially will complicate your bonding with him...

If I were you, I'd wait until BOTH of your trips are done and then bring him home ONLY when he will be able to stay in his new forever-home and not have to leave again any time soon, and only when you are able to be there with him and you don't have to leave any time soon. This will not only help him make the transition into your home and your family much smoother and easier on him, but it's going to help tremendously help you bond with him. Even if you wait until after your first trip and then bring him home, then a week later you leave for 2 weeks or whatever the plan is, that's not good either if you are the one who is supposed to be his "person". This is only going to confuse him and make him uncomfortable and insecure.

Welcome to parront-hood, where you have to start doing things that are best for your bird and not what is best for you, or what you want! Ha, you'll get used to it, trust me...Just wait until you're back for good and then bring him home, when he can stay and not have to leave, and you'll be there and not have to leave.

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
I whole-heartedly agree with EllenD above. I too am young (23), and get excited with owning a new bird or pet. Working in a small zoo/park as an Aviculturist, I would constantly have people come up to me and asking where they can buy a Lorikeet or Lori (The exhibit I ran). I would always reply “I don’t really know”, because buying a bird should never be impulsive. Some live to be 80 years old, so it’s literally adding a permanent family member.
I would say also to wait after both trips. I know it’s horrible and your excited to spend time with your new bird, but trust me it will be better for both of you in the long run. :)

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I would wait until AFTER the trips are over. It can be hard to be patient, but you'll get off to a much better start with your new friend if you wait.

After you've had your bird for a while and have developed a bond, then it won't be too big of a deal to leave him/her with a competent friend (or to hire a bird sitter or to board at a vets office) when you go on trips. But when a bird is still new, it's very important to interact daily and set their schedule and earn their trust.

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
First question, have you even met your bird yet? If yes, does the bird currently respond to you when you come in the store? Does it recognize and have a desire to be with you? If you answered no, the I think you should wait until after your trips to get the bird.

Lovebirds, cockatiels and budgies are notorious for having diseases because they are easy to breed. This means they are mass produced by breeders to make an easy buck and they normally do not do any testing since it ins't cost efficient. I bring this up because I am on my 3rd try trying to purchase a love bird in Southern California. My first bird, who the breeder claimed was clean because his parents were cleaned, came back with Beak and Feather Disease. My 2nd purchase was from a pet store and the owner claimed the same thing and the bird came back positive for Polyoma. either of these two diseases could potential kill my sun conures so I could not take them home. I am no waiting for test results on my 3rd lovebird. So my next question for you is does your bird come with paper work and lab test results to show the bird is clean? I ask this because if you are leaving it at your friend's house WITH his budgie... it could get infected. General rule is to quarantine the new bird for 30 days if you are bringing it home with other birds already living there. Another thing I'd like to add it that it would be unfair for your friend to have to train YOUR bird since the bird probably hasn't been taught anything yet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts