Step-up training

Tojo95

Jan 31, 2024
sweden
Parrots
Blue/yellow macaw
“How can I help my 6-year-old blue and gold macaw named Hugo to overcome his fear when I move while he is perched on my hand, despite being comfortable with stepping up and staying on my hand? Additionally, Hugo enjoys head scratches and being touched, and he resides in a spacious cage measuring approximately 5 square meters.”

LMO

Jan 10, 2020
Nottingham, UK
Parrots
Jesse - Budgie (hatched 10/10/2013)

Bebe - Budgie (2010 - 31/01/2014)
Do you feed him treats while slowly moving to distract him with food?

OP
T

Tojo95

Jan 31, 2024
sweden
Parrots
Blue/yellow macaw
Yea, i have started doing this. And he’s making progress really!
Now i have another problem tho, his claws are tearing my hand to shreds..

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
“How can I help my 6-year-old blue and gold macaw named Hugo to overcome his fear when I move while he is perched on my hand, despite being comfortable with stepping up and staying on my hand? Additionally, Hugo enjoys head scratches and being touched, and he resides in a spacious cage measuring approximately 5 square meters.”
Try this relaxed training I do with my canary.

Whenever I train my canary, we work on the same step for a week before moving onto the next one.
This requires a lot of patience on your part but I think it's the best way to get a bird fully comfortable with a new behavior.

Speaking to him during training will also make it more comfortable for him.

Always keep his favorite food in your other hand to reward him.

This training works best if there's a perch or nearby object you can carry him to, preferably something close to his cage.

Start by identifying the exact amount of movement he tolerates before getting scared.

Then, when the bird is on your hand, move it side to side as slow as possible. Reward him if he stays on your hand.

Repeat this process consistently for a week.

Once the bird is used to this, ever so slightly increase the amount you move your hand.
Repeat this for another week.

You will do this for several weeks until you are closer and closer to your desired object. Once you are fully able to carry the bird to the object is when you start speeding up the movement.

It will take some time, but try it and tell me how it goes.

Reactions: LMO

LMO

Jan 10, 2020
Nottingham, UK
Parrots
Jesse - Budgie (hatched 10/10/2013)

Bebe - Budgie (2010 - 31/01/2014)
Yea, i have started doing this. And he’s making progress really!
Now i have another problem tho, his claws are tearing my hand to shreds..
As 00089 describes really well, keep slowly building his tolerance, small steps at a time.

For his claws, does he have lots of different diameter perches to naturally sand them down? You can get clippers/file them but have to be careful of the cutting into the quick and this may damage his training as you're getting him to trust you moving so if you can do it by looking into different perches - some are sold specifically to keep nails at a good length - that would be safer and less stressful.

OP
T

Tojo95

Jan 31, 2024
sweden
Parrots
Blue/yellow macaw

Whenever I train my canary, we work on the same step for a week before moving onto the next one.
This requires a lot of patience on your part but I think it's the best way to get a bird fully comfortable with a new behavior.

This training works best if there's a perch or nearby object you can carry him to, preferably something close to his cage.

Start by identifying the exact amount of movement he tolerates before getting scared.

Then, when the bird is on your hand, move it side to side as slow as possible. Reward him if he stays on your hand.

Once the bird is used to this, ever so slightly increase the amount you move your hand.

You will do this for several weeks until you are closer and closer to your desired object. Once you are fully able to carry the bird to the object is when you start speeding up the movement.

It will take some time, but try it and tell me how it

It will take some time, but try it and tell me how it goes.
I will try this, thanks for the response!
Time is the only thing i’v got now, so that wont be a problem.
But we are curently training in his cage/room, since i cant realy move him before he can sit on my hand or arm while i walk.
But i will try this for some time and let you know his progress!

OP
T

Tojo95

Jan 31, 2024
sweden
Parrots
Blue/yellow macaw
As 00089 describes really well, keep slowly building his tolerance, small steps at a time.

For his claws, does he have lots of different diameter perches to naturally sand them down? You can get clippers/file them but have to be careful of the cutting into the quick and this may damage his training as you're getting him to trust you moving so if you can do it by looking into different perches - some are sold specifically to keep nails at a good length - that would be safer and less stressful.
Yea he got many different perches to walk and be on, but i’v noticed him biting and sharpening his claws, i’ll guess i will have to endure untill i can file then.
Sometimes he’s very gentle while stepping up and then it does not hurt, it’s just when he wanna step down or looses his balance the he really drives the claws into the skin..

Reactions: LMO

Most Reactions

Latest posts