Strange feathers on an adopted Amazon

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
Hi, I recently adopted an Amazon parrot for a friend who could no longer care for her. I'm wondering if the feathers where the top of her wings meet her body (the shoulder area) are normal. There are some short, stubbly feathers there, and it's even on both sides of her body. Are they pin feathers maybe? I don't have much experience with large birds and I'm not sure exactly what her feathers are supposed to look like in that specific area, but it seems strange to me. I can't even notice it unless she is sitting right next to me or I happen to stroke her shoulders, which sometimes causes her to become irritated as well, although she is a friendly bird and likes her head and neck stroked. Also, once in a while (2 or 3 times a week) she will screech and beak at her wing for a couple seconds before acting normal again, but I'm not sure if that is related. I'm worried that she's in pain because of abnormally grown feathers and wondering if there is something I should be doing to help her. Are shorter feathers normal in that area of her body? Any response is appreciated!

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
Pictures would be a big help. If you touch the feathers are they stiff with a waxy sheath? Those would be pin feathers.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum, FoolOnTheHill. :)

Yes, those feathers could be pin feathers, but a picture would definitely help, especially since we all LOVE pictures, too. ;)

AND...many congrats to your new family addition. Careful now, Amazons can become HIGHLY addictive. :D

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
Thanks for your quick responses guys! She does fit right in here with the family, I already love her :) Really sorry about the quality of these pictures, all I have is my phone and it's not great. The feathers are stiff, but I'm not sure I would call them waxy. It's almost like razor stubble but with little feathers, and it's perfectly equal on both wings, just a small area. I know the pictures sort of make it look like bald spots, but I can't see much skin in actuality. The little feathers are green and red, and it took me so long to take the pictures because, like I said, she doesn't much like me touching her there.

Attachments

• 2013-05-30 15.48.34.jpg
    2013-05-30 15.48.34.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 2013-05-30 15.49.11.jpg
    2013-05-30 15.49.11.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 2013-05-30 15.49.29.jpg
    2013-05-30 15.49.29.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 459

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hmm. My Amazons never look like that when they are molting.

Have you given her (what's her name?) a bath yet?

She looks like a GORGEOUS Yellow Nape, by the way. :D

How long have you had her? Is there a remote possibility she could have feather mites? (JUST a guess)

Bathing her frequently could clear up her shoulders, unless it's a medical condition.

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
Her name is Shae! I have given her one bath, about a week ago, and she seemed a little bit frightened so i sort of just lightly splashed water on her to get her to feel okay about it, but she never really seemed completely comfortable. A lot of dirt and stuff did come off of her I noticed. Of course it was my shower, so maybe that's a little too much noise or power for her. It's been a little less than a month since I brought her home and I haven't noticed any of my other animals itching, nor have I been itching, and I did consider the possibility of mites and took a really close look with a magnifying glass, but I didn't see anything. I'm going to try another bath tomorrow morning and see if she's a little more comfortable.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
There are different ways to bath as well. Some birds like sink showers or baths, others like a shower or a mister. My sennie loves bathing in her water bowl while the greys tolerate the shower.

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
No, she hasn't been gnawing as far as I can tell. And it's just the same two equal small spots on both shoulder/wing areas.
I think tomorrow I'm going to see if she likes the sink better than the shower, I'm optimistic about that. Really think it might make a difference for her.

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
Oh I forgot to mention she is supposedly 17 years old, there were no records or anything like that, but that is what her previous owner told me. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Nope, it doesn't matter whether she is 7, 17, or 40. :) She's found a loving home with you, THAT's the only thing that matters. These guys can live quite a long time, you know. :D

If she doesn't like the sink, may I recommend a spray bottle/mister? Both my Amazons go ballistic when I mist them. I place them on the back of a chair (covered in towels), fill the mister with rather warm water, step back a few feet, blast the music (that get's them going), and mist away. :D

If she was dirty, she will need frequent baths/showers, they will make her feel SO much better.

BACON

May 18, 2013
It was just when you said looks like shaving stubble that made me wonder. She/he could be nipping the tops off as they try to grow!!!! Could possibly be irritating him/her a bit???

If the bath/showers don't help, maybe a quick trip to the vet would be a good idea?!!

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
I was told she could live to be 40 or 50 by her last owner, and that excited me because I honestly didn't know much about parrots before this, specific types of parrots and all that, and I didn't even know what Shae would look like when her owner said she was an Amazon parrot. But I've always wanted a long-lived companion animal. I'm going out for groceries tomorrow and I will definitely pick up a spray bottle and try your misting method with her. She's a gentle girl and she probably wants to be handled gently. And she also loves music, so I'll try that too :)

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
They look less like they've been cut off and more like tiny little feathers. And she preens normally, I never notice her roughly biting herself or obsessing on one area for too long, I've been keeping an eye on her when she does get to that area with her preening.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
No those don't look normal for a parvipes Yellow Nape. Looks like she could be "barbering" those feathers (chewing ). Could be from the stress in her old home or changing over to your new home. Has she been to an Avian Vet yet? Something i would do with any new bird.

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
It is less noticeable since her bath, and it's strange because she's had the spots the entire time I've had her. They haven't grown from what I can see, either. And like I said in my last post, she doesn't seem to obsess on that area at all, and I've been paying very close attention to her when she preens.

OP
F

FoolOnTheHill

May 30, 2013
The only way I can really see it is if she or I am holding her shoulder/wing at just the right angle, or if her wings are fully outstretched.

Most Reactions