Suggestions on building confidence

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
Just looking for ways to encourage confident behavior.
Want him to grow into being curious rather than scared.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Nothing beats a lot of one on one time, exploring new things, places and people. Parrots are odd sometimes; My little Amazon Salty will do a trick with a prop, say a small bird figure, dozens and dozens of times, and then one night he will look at it in terror and run to the far corner of the training table. And the next night be perfectly OK with it again.

When he shows fear over a new toy, I will play with it for awhile, exclaiming how much fun it is. Sometimes that gets his curiosity stirred up.

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
Nothing beats a lot of one on one time, exploring new things, places and people. Parrots are odd sometimes; My little Amazon Salty will do a trick with a prop, say a small bird figure, dozens and dozens of times, and then one night he will look at it in terror and run to the far corner of the training table. And the next night be perfectly OK with it again.

When he shows fear over a new toy, I will play with it for awhile, exclaiming how much fun it is. Sometimes that gets his curiosity stirred up.
That’s so weird but really cute, thank you for sharing🥹

So I guess it’s just back to desensitization to everything.. takes forever loll

Most Reactions

Latest posts