Sunny's First Flight!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Okay, so it was only about three feet or so. But it was NOT a jump-Down-with-glide. She was on a hangar-perch which I placed on my bed. She climbed off it and took off from the bed, landing on a wire hamper a few feet away. She did Not land in the clothes which were in and over the edge, she didn't fall between the other objects around it. She Landed. Landed pretty well perched on top of the top wire rim of the hamper.

Now I am worried of course, because I have yet to get a harness onto her.

I had been noticing that her new wing-feathers were crossing on her back when folded-good sign. So I am not really surprised. Oh except that I am! I've had her since last March, and she came so deeply clipped. And this was her very first FLIGHT!
:):orange:
:orange:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Way to go!! First of many!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Fantastic!!!!!!! What an enormous monumental moment!!! I hope you both celebrate. Yippie!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh my gosh this is a beautiful, special moment for you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Very cool ! but now everyone in your house needs to be accutely aware of open doors and windows, And start training Sunny about what mirrors and window glass and walls mean. Gale ( momma to the Rickeybird) trained RB by having him tap the offending vertical surfaces with his beak, so he knows they cannot be flown into.

PS, are you going to Fiddle Hell in 2 weeks? I'm am talking my whole band into going.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Very cool ! but now everyone in your house needs to be accutely aware of open doors and windows, And start training Sunny about what mirrors and window glass and walls mean. Gale ( momma to the Rickeybird) trained RB by having him tap the offending vertical surfaces with his beak, so he knows they cannot be flown into.

PS, are you going to Fiddle Hell in 2 weeks? I'm am talking my whole band into going.

Hi yes, doors windows etc. So much to be terrified about! Thank you for the suggestion about glass training. I took her around the house and did just that, show & tapped all the mirrors & glass. I actually use sheers or lace on all my windows (lots of windows; great for light, not so great for privacy; views are not-especially scenic), except when they're open for air (all windows have screens!), then I pull back the sheers for reminder. However I showed her all the glass anyway. We've already done this several times in the past couple days now.

And I am feeling quite panicky about doors, as well as keeping cages latched. Trying to use this current fear to firm up my good habits and Not relax about it. :)

Yes I plan to attend Fiddle Hell this year. Wanted to stay over as usual but this year the rooms all sold out right away!!! So I'll be driving back & forth each day. Perhaps we'll catch up to each other there. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The road to Fiddle Hell is paved with Good Intonation. LOL. Look for me in the Scottish workshops and jams, and anything Jay Unger is instructing.

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
Congrats on that first flight Sunny! I can't wait till Jacob start flying, I am letting him grow his wings in but he doesn't know he can fly just yet, he'll fly maybe 1 to 2 feet and get confused when he does. lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts