Teaching cockatiel how to whistle tunes

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! šŸ‘‹ I have a 9 month old cockatiel named Kiko :)

I have some free time till the end of summer, and I was thinking about teaching Kiko some tricks, train him, and teach him whistling.

Kiko is VERY talkative and I think with proper training he will learn to whistle some tunes.

Does someone have any good suggestions or tips/tricks to teach them how to whistle or pick up on tunes fast? I know cockatiels arenā€™t the best when it comes to speaking words like African greys or bigger parrots, but I think they can say a few words. Is it better to start with words or whistling? Also, how long does it take for them to pick it up? (I know dedication is required.)

Thank you to anyone who replies šŸ’—

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Repetition. Get him on your finger and whistle to him. My 'Tiel whistles the Adams Family song (including a clunk-clunk at the end) and the Andy Griffith tune. Usually he combines them and does his own versions. He does a great wolf whistle too. The only words he knows are "Bebe good boy".

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Wonderful JimsBrother šŸ‘šŸ» ... šŸ’ž:grey:
I hear Amy in the background.

I play this for Levi all the time .... šŸ‘‡šŸ» I was on the phone with my sister & she asked is that Levi whistling the Andy Griffith show tune .... hahaha I said Yep. šŸ˜‚

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Repetition. Get him on your finger and whistle to him. My 'Tiel whistles the Adams Family song (including a clunk-clunk at the end) and the Andy Griffith tune. Usually he combines them and does his own versions. He does a great wolf whistle too. The only words he knows are "Bebe good boy".

Is it better to whistle them yourself or play a repeated video of another cockatiel whistling?

GretcheNicole1987

Oct 27, 2022
Idaho
Parrots
A hybrid Sunday Conure
Repetition. We have 3 adults in my home & when we want to teach our Sunday a new whistle we just do it constantly. We all feel like we are going mad but it works lol. She will start to practice the whistle within a week and has it pretty good by 2 weeks.

Most Reactions

Latest posts