Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Doing research for my company on a related issue, I found out quite a bit about Teflon, PTFE and related man-made compounds. Turns out the big bad C8 (perfluorooctanoic acid) compound that was the main focus in litigation against DuPont was replaced by a product called GenX. Below is the link to the U.S. EPA toxicity study on this new GenX product , which turns out to be as, if not more, toxic than the original C8 compound. To be brief, it affects liver, kidney (failures), reproductive systems and is linked to pancreatic cancers, and causes damage on a cellular level. The report is quite technical, and 99.999% of people will not fully understand the ramifications of the results.

The main point in this thread - these coatings are not only dangerous for your parrots, but for you yourself. With dosages on the order of 0.00008
mg/kg-day responsible for cellular necrosis, I am shocked these products have been allowed onto the open market.

Here is the link should you like to know more.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2018-12/documents/tech_fact_sheet_genx_pfbs_draft_tox_assess_final_508.pdf

Scroll to page 3 for the heath effects summary

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks
I'm cast iron most all the way, to much worries with thst other stuff

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Welcome! But its not only cookware that is affected. non-stick coatings are making their way into so many products these days. The linings of microwave popcorn bags and other microwavable foods, lining of fast food wrappers, and even some clothing now has a non-stick element. And these applications don't even require that the non-stick element to be heated in order to be a possible contaminant.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you my friend!

Was wondering why DuPont GenX has slide into the market with so little fanfare.

The wide use is both surprising and at the same time not. The overwhelming want for things to slide with easy in a cross-section of applications is a clear driver.

Safety for those we love continues to become ever more difficult.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Do you know whether or not this is used in the so-called "ceramic" non-stick pans?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Do you know whether or not this is used in the so-called "ceramic" non-stick pans?

No! Ceramic non-stick pans do not use this product! FYI: Weight is a critical definer as to the quality /safety of ceramic (glass) products. If your pan as weight to it, its a true ceramic product. If light weight, pass it by...

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Thank you for this latest info Wrench. When I read data like this I'm glad that we live in the bush and that the only take-away available is from our kitchen to our sitting area outside LOL. I cook with cast iron or professional grade stainless steel and happily we do not own a microwave!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Ellie, we are a 100% stainless steel house and have been for decades after aluminim cook ware was linked to Alzheimers.

Newest application I found of nonstick coatings - commercial baked goods like Drakes products and similar, that have a cardboard backing sheet in the package. The backing sheet gets a coating to prevent the baked good from sticking to the backing sheet!

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Ellie, we are a 100% stainless steel house and have been for decades after aluminim cook ware was linked to Alzheimers.

Newest application I found of nonstick coatings - commercial baked goods like Drakes products and similar, that have a cardboard backing sheet in the package. The backing sheet gets a coating to prevent the baked good from sticking to the backing sheet!

Holy Smokes Wrench! Now I'm glad that I'm a diabetic, coeliac and allergic to dairy to boot. I believe that I've had special protection (blessings) rather than diseases :D. If I don't make it we don't eat it!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for posting links and commentary, Al. What a scathing indictment on our scientists and leaders for permitting such environmental debauchery. :(

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
What is really sad and scary is that this C8 (perfluorooctanoic acid) chemical has been detected in even the most remote places on Earth. It was one of those that do not ever breakdown ( because of the molecular structure) and is accumulative in biomass.

Most Reactions

Latest posts