PTFE's, PFOA's, Silicon, and Ceramic Cook/Bakeware

ragcog

Jun 5, 2020
Rock Hill, SC
Parrots
Fancy Conure
Even though I'm a new member to the Parrot Forum, just a quick reminder while on the kitchen utensil safety: Don't Use The Self-Cleaning Oven selection on your oven (if present on your oven). Along with non-stick cookware, this too is a very dangerous process for any bird in your home.
In my recent research on bird care, this is one that comes up very often. Just a quick note to those that are unaware of this information.
I just joined and I am learning so much more from all of the great posters! Thank you to all! :whiteblue:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Even though I'm a new member to the Parrot Forum, just a quick reminder while on the kitchen utensil safety: Don't Use The Self-Cleaning Oven selection on your oven (if present on your oven). Along with non-stick cookware, this too is a very dangerous process for any bird in your home.
In my recent research on bird care, this is one that comes up very often. Just a quick note to those that are unaware of this information.
I just joined and I am learning so much more from all of the great posters! Thank you to all! :whiteblue:

Yes- you are correct (so glad you have been researching-self cleaning ovens= very bad when you use that function). Browning oils at high temperatures like butter or animal fat can also produce harmful airborne particles that can be deadly (even when cooked in safe containers). Also- remember that PTFE/PFCS/PFOA/Teflon is not just found in pots and pans, but also in other appliances and strange places--such as space heaters, blow dryers, curling irons, irons, ironing board covers, air-fryers, egg poachers, popcorn poppers, drip trays, straighteners, toasters, heat guns, industrial lights/reflectors, heat lamps etc.
The coating on new furniture (stain guard or scotch gaurd) can also off-gas and kill birds (even though it isn't heated)--new furniture and mattresses are often particularly full of VOCs .

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts