WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
After reading the original post completely (with my glasses on) I realize the food contamination issue was already covered.

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hi Everyone,

Brilliant post thank you!

Having replaced my saucepans for stainless steel a few years ago (pre-parrot), Santa is this year going to get me a couple of frying pan- in the January sales because my Santa is bargain-conscious - so I'm doing my research.

I've found a set of frying pans that are "anodized aluminium" and are non-stick. I'm confused though because it says they have... "A triple layer of long-lasting Teflon non-stick provides superb food release and makes clean-up effortless. It’s dishwasher safe, and free from the chemical nasties of BPA, PFOA and PTFE". Which has me completely confused!!!! I has searching for PTFE and PFOA free and they came up.

Any opinions? Just another addition to this fairly confusing topic.

I'm not going to get them, I'm going to get something ceramic, but just interested in what you all make of it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi Everyone,

Brilliant post thank you!

Having replaced my saucepans for stainless steel a few years ago (pre-parrot), Santa is this year going to get me a couple of frying pan- in the January sales because my Santa is bargain-conscious - so I'm doing my research.

I've found a set of frying pans that are "anodized aluminium" and are non-stick. I'm confused though because it says they have... "A triple layer of long-lasting Teflon non-stick provides superb food release and makes clean-up effortless. It’s dishwasher safe, and free from the chemical nasties of BPA, PFOA and PTFE". Which has me completely confused!!!! I has searching for PTFE and PFOA free and they came up.

Any opinions? Just another addition to this fairly confusing topic.

I'm not going to get them, I'm going to get something ceramic, but just interested in what you all make of it.

Ceramic: Thickness of the substructure and the Ceramic coating is the key to long life. You will find them heavy, moderate to slow to come to temperature, but hold their temperature well across the cooking surface. They are expensive! So, if you come across an inexpensive set, keep walking!

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Sorry to revive a slightly old thread (though stickied), but how do you handle apartment living? Where I live, apartments are built with more.... ventilation; some flats are built to have openings for air and windows are frequently left open. If your next-door neighbour cooks with non-stick pans and whatnot, wouldn't that affect your parrot as well? How do you guys handle that kind of situation? Do you talk to your neighbours to find out what kitchenware they use? Or do you just try to keep your bird away in an isolated room?

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
I know this is an old thread but this group seems very knowledgeable about cookware. I have done a lot of research myself and was about ready to buy ceramic-glazed stoneware until I came across this thread, where some risks with this type of cookware are noted. I am hoping to find something I can cook meats in as high as 425 degrees fahrenheit. I found this on the Sur La Table website. It looks like a good value and also has a lid, which I thought might help keep the fumes in. I am also looking at enamel coated cast iron as a possibility. I would appreciate any feedback that any of you have. Thank you

https://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-2303089/Stoneware+Casserole+with+Lid+4+qt.

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
I'm not sure I have the answer to this since there are probably many different types of apartment setups and ventilation systems. I can tell you, though, that I have had no problems living in a small apartment with neighbors and keeping the windows open or closed. I am cognizant of people grilling below me and will close the windows if that is going on. I am on the top floor, but if I were lower down, I might also consider asking when the building sprays for pests and keep them closed then as well.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I know this is an old thread but this group seems very knowledgeable about cookware. I have done a lot of research myself and was about ready to buy ceramic-glazed stoneware until I came across this thread, where some risks with this type of cookware are noted. I am hoping to find something I can cook meats in as high as 425 degrees fahrenheit. I found this on the Sur La Table website. It looks like a good value and also has a lid, which I thought might help keep the fumes in. I am also looking at enamel coated cast iron as a possibility. I would appreciate any feedback that any of you have. Thank you

https://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-2303089/Stoneware+Casserole+with+Lid+4+qt.

Can’t be certain about this since we don’t know what’s in the glaze. Good old Pyrex glass bakeware is perfect though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sorry to revive a slightly old thread (though stickied), but how do you handle apartment living? Where I live, apartments are built with more.... ventilation; some flats are built to have openings for air and windows are frequently left open. If your next-door neighbour cooks with non-stick pans and whatnot, wouldn't that affect your parrot as well? How do you guys handle that kind of situation? Do you talk to your neighbours to find out what kitchenware they use? Or do you just try to keep your bird away in an isolated room?

Just seeing this. Excellent question. Here's my uninformed, layman's opinion. For the most part, I don't think your neighbors would pose much of an issue in this regard. The outgassed teflon (or comparative nonstick coating) would have to maintain its gaseous "cohesion", despite dispersion into the outside air, for the entire trip over to your window and into your premise. Highly unlikely that it would arrive in a concentrated enough form to have the same deadly effect.

Of course, that's under everyday circumstances. Heavy burning/smoking might allow for the concentration that would be necessary. So I'd say, if heavy fumes were making their way to the window, it would be safer to close it. And the point made about the pesticides and such in a subsequent post was a good one.

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
My fear is a neighbor burning microwave popcorn! I gave a neighbor who is home often and whom I trust a key to my place in case of something like this happening when I’m not home

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Thank you Inger. I am looking at glass for baking, but my understanding is it cannot be used over 350 degrees Fahrenheit and I often cook at 425 for meats. If Sur La Table tells me this product is free of pfoa’s and ptfe’s, do you think this is sufficient?

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Thank you Inger. I am looking at glass for baking, but my understanding is it cannot be used over 350 degrees Fahrenheit and I often cook at 425 for meats. If Sur La Table tells me this product is free of pfoa’s and ptfe’s, do you think this is sufficient?

I use pyrex baking dishes in excess of 450f regularly with no problems.

That doesn't mean it's okay as I'm not smart enough to know better apparently. :D

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I always use my glass baking dishes at high heat, never had a problem except for the time I put it in the sink while it was still hot. Don't pour water on hot glass, it shatters and scares the crap out of you :eek:.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I always use my glass baking dishes at high heat, never had a problem except for the time I put it in the sink while it was still hot. Don't pour water on hot glass, it shatters and scares the crap out of you :eek:.

Don't put it on a cold counter/surface either. Glass dishes straight from the oven should be put on a dishcloth or fabric trivet. Thermal shock will make Pyrex explode, therefore special care handling when hot should be taken.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I googled. Pyrex lists some use and care instructions for their glass bakeware on their website. They don’t list a maximum temp. Interestingly, these are the same instructions that came with the (unglazed) Pampered Chef stoneware I was given, so they’re probably similar to the stoneware you’re considering as well.

https://www.pyrexware.com/use-care-pyrex.html

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
this is a topic I've commented on twice elsewhere. Look for the following brands:

Green Earth (verified by company, and another user from another bird forum). I've used the product for years safely around my conures too.

Amore's flamekiss line of pans I can also vouchsafe for, having used for years. Quoted for their correspondence with me,

Thank you for your email inquiry. Yes, all Flamekiss Pans are 100% PTFE and PFOA free. No harmful chemicals or pollutants are released even when the cookware is placed over high heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots

I use pyrex baking dishes in excess of 450f regularly with no problems.

That doesn't mean it's okay as I'm not smart enough to know better apparently. :D
Thanks, I checked again and that temp should be okay. Have you tried cooking meats and veggies that release liquids while cooking though? I think I saw a warning about that possibly causing them to shatter

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots

Don't put it on a cold counter/surface either. Glass dishes straight from the oven should be put on a dishcloth or fabric trivet. Thermal shock will make Pyrex explode, therefore special care handling when hot should be taken.
Sounds scary - thank you for that tip!

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
I googled. Pyrex lists some use and care instructions for their glass bakeware on their website. They don’t list a maximum temp. Interestingly, these are the same instructions that came with the (unglazed) Pampered Chef stoneware I was given, so they’re probably similar to the stoneware you’re considering as well.

Thank you. Do you do this? I typically cook meats and veggies at 425 F and obviously they release liquids. I'm not sure I want them all wet though!

From Pyrex website: "Add a small amount of liquid sufficient to cover the bottom of the dish prior to cooking foods that may release liquid."

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots

Thank you, Do you have a preference for the pyrex versus the unglazed stoneware for cooking or baking? I tend to bake a lot and that's why I was leaning against the pyrex (I've heard glass isn't as good for baking), but it sounds like this board has a lot of Pyrex fans, and the price is certainly reasonable

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Just remember that older Teflon or scratched Teflon off-gasses at lower temps. Also DO NOT ASSUME THAT ALL TEFLON LOOKS LIKE A NO-STICK PAN!!!
Much of it looks like regular aluminum or light steel (because a teflon powder had been mixed in during the molding process, which is just as deadly to birds if overheated).n

Most Reactions

Latest posts