so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I wanted yo upload a short video of Bella doing the funky chicken.
[ame="https://youtu.be/9rLae5fdnbE"]Bella doing funky chicken - YouTube[/ame]

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I think that's nesting behavior there Wes! :eek:

I played Merlin and Luna's video talking to each other to Amy. She jumped from her X perch onto the computer desk and ran up to the monitor ( I use a 32 inch flat screen) and Amy got all poofy,head sideways,making all sorts of Amazon sounds lol..I guess she liked it!

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rb cares nothing about looking at other birds... after all, he isn't one, BUT... he sometimes gets really excited about hearing one! I actually think South American species interest him more than others... oh, and wild Patagonian roostering noises always gets his attention.
Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, he really likes Luna's vocalizations. So, if she's a girl, he thinks she's hot, and if he's a he, he thinks he would make a good bromance! He kept telling her/him "Rit-roo!" (his phonetic version of a wolf-whistle). But of course stopped when I grabbed my phone!
This thread is fun!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Wes...how do you tell who is who lol? Luna and Merlin look like twins :confused:

Jim

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Wes...how do you tell who is who lol? Luna and Merlin look like twins :confused:

Jim

As a matter of fact I put them in the wrong cages yesterday :eek:.

Merlin has clipped wings and will step up.
Luna fly’s and will only srep up onto my iPad.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Vacation and earthquakes.
I was on vacation visiting my relation's in southern Oregon From Saturday to Saturday last week. So I missed out on experiencing the series of earthquakes that rocked southern Ca. Because I live in the high desert (Palmdale Lancaster area) I live closer to the epicenter of the quakes than LA proper. I would imagen it felt a good deal stronger than the majority of LA residents.
2 of my Cockatiels injured themselves during the quake. Pinky injured her primary flight feathers on one side and was bleeding. My Son was able to quickly get that stopped. But Sunny also had an injury that was not spotted right away. by the time it was found she had lost a fair amount of blood but it had stopped bleeding by then. Both birds are behaving normally other than preening more that usual.
My wife tells me that Bella was acting strangely before the quake was felt. Bella went to the bottom of the cage (something she never does) and flapping her wings like she was trying to fly. I guess we have our own earthquake alert system, one that works better the phony app for cell phones and tablets.

On a different note Merlin is flying better then ever. We have a vaulted ceiling in the Livingroom/dinning room and yesterday evening he flew to the birds favorite window viewing area. He is use to having to work very hard to fly and with his wing feathers 98% grown in he was very surprised when he found himself grazing the ceiling on the way. I have a connection with these birds and it lets me get into their heads to know what they are feeling. If he could have said what he was feeling at that moment :eek: it would have been OH S*&T:22_yikes: :green1:

I am glad to be home with my Fids, I sure missed them. I hope we are over the worst of the quakes for now.

Texsize

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Thanks for this update Wes..When I heard about this,you and Scott came right to mind :eek:

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wow, Tex, Ive read many times of parrots reaction to quakes, esp whenthey are caged. I hope evvery one is OK for the long term.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Let’s start out with Luna.
I got Luna as a rescue in December 2 years ago from another member of the PF.
She was a loud screamer but I would say her screaming has been cut about 50%. She rarely screams at Bingo when he is playing or dancing. That was one of the things that was most annoying to me and to Bingo,
Most of her screaming is aimed at Merlin. When Merlin is playing with his toys Luna screams at him. Merlin doesn’t pay any attention to Lunas screaming and so her screaming over someone else having fun is slowly reducing.
Luna is no more hand friendly than she was in the beginning and I find that a disappointment. I can still move her by getting her to step up onto my iPad. I know I have made the hand issue worse by accident. These two birds look so identical I sometimes miss-identify the birds and try to pick up Luna (with my hand) the way I would Merlin and then wonder why I got bitten.

Merlin.
Merlin’s biggest change is his ability to fly. When I bought him from the breeder his wings had been clipped. He has gone from beginner to confident flyer.

He likes to come down from up high to a close fly by at speed.
He is still hand tame and will step up most of the time.
Biggest problem is that I can’t get him to step up when he is inside a cage. When I do pick up Merlin, Luna gets very upset and starts making a loud scream that is unlike any other noise I have heard.
He does not accept scratches from me only from Luna.
He is very playful with his toys and that’s good but his play time turns in to play & scream time.

Bingo.

Bingo is about the same. We just had a nice cuddle this morning. He does sleep a lot but it has been a gradual thing not a change that was all of a sudden. We keep odd late hours. Bingo has the option of sitting in the dark side of his cage or in the light and able to see us and what we are doing. He usually stays up late with his people.

I have not seen any reoccurrence of his sinus troubles this winter. It’s coming up on his hormone time. For Bingo it is usually late December or early January though last year it was mild to nonexistent.

One thing that is new is that Bingo makes a funny errrr sound when he is preening himself. It’s a very low frequency sound and would be hard to record, It’s not all the time just now and then.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Tex!

Thanks for the updates.

I thought of you often and was glad to hear! Don't be a stranger, or I'll give the Rickeybird your email address. No need for this to go there.

xo :)

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The word of the day is Feathers.

At least 3 of my Fids are molting at the same time and there are feathers everywhere.

Merlin is loosing feathers. Every morning when I feed him there are several feathers in his food dish. I have seen no bald spots and he is as energetic as always. I managed to record a video of Merlin regurgitating and "feeding" his rubber ball. Luna will sometimes get jealous and scream at him but he ignores her. :green1::green1:
Merlin's interest in Bingo continues. When he is out of cage he climbs down the side of Bingos cage and gets very close to him. Bingo show almost total indifference to these excursions and that is not his (Bingo's) normal behavior. Normally Bingo reacts with aggression to any bird that ends up on the side of his cage.

Bingo seems to be entering into a second breeding season. This is unusual for him but not unheard of. I guess it could be due to the sudden temperature increase we have had in the last 2 weeks.

Bella has been loosing just a few feathers but it's not as obvious cuz they usually fall out in flight. Bella has now learned how to lie. She askes for a "red butt shower" when she is in the cage. When I take her out of the cage to go for a shower she fly's off into the kitchen. She just uses the excuse of a shower to get out of the cage.

The Tiels.
Angel has been loosing a lot of feathers. Some of them could be from Mango as they share the same cage but coloration of the feathers makes me think most are from Angel. Still trying to give Angel her antibiotic but it's not going well. She has the same trick that Plumas had, holding the medicine in the lower part of her beak and shaking her head (and spraying medicine all over) as soon as we let her go.:yellow1:

Lucky and Baby are loosing feathers but not as many as Angel. They are both doing well considering they are both close to 20 years old.

Cheeky and Popeye are doing well also. Nothing new going on with them.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Wanted to ad a recent pic of Bella.
may 4 2020 by wes mcfaden, on Flickr

And a picture of how she looked the day I first saw her.
Bella in the pet shop by wes mcfaden, on Flickr

And a two short video clips.
[ame="https://youtu.be/cWts8GHRq5M"]Bingo and the egg carton - YouTube[/ame]

This second video is a good example of Bingo not trying to attack Merlin.
[ame="https://youtu.be/bApxOfmnkNU"]bingo ignores Merlin - YouTube[/ame]

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Update time.

I had to go visiting my Father last week up in Southern Oregon. Was gone for 6 days.
On return Bingo acted as expected.
Dancing his Steve Wonder dance and saying everything in his vocabulary.
His feather chewing has decreased and his chest feathers no longer look black.
the additional out of cage time and attention have done the trick.
Amazon's are definitely the bounce back king's.

I don't know how to describe the twins reaction to my return. They did not have a visible reaction to my greeting them. They do seem to be suffering from separation anxiety.
What I mean is when I leave the living room they start contact calling as soon as they can't see me. Before they would at least give me time to go to the bathroom.

Bella is not a bird that wears her heart on her sleeve. But....
No one bothered to take her for a Red But Shower while I was gone and I did not specifically leave instructions to do so. When I took her into the shower with me she was so excited she could not hold still. She got good and wet (something she does not do often in the shower) and was very happy.
Her normal place outside of the cage is standing guard on her cupboard. But she has been flying from there and I think looking for me. She even sat on my shoulder for 15 min. and did not poop on me.

Mango and Angel went into overdrive wanting scratches from me. The other Cockatiels were more restrained in there greetings.

Comments on the new forum engine.

congratulations on a very seamless transfer of all the data, it could not have been easy.
That said I don't like it.

#1 to many adds. on the top, on the side, and on the bottom to. Come on Man.;)
#2 I don't know why but the background white is so bright I have a hard time reading the font and threads.
#3 Call me a fuddy duddy but I am 60 going on 90 and I don't like change.
My Work was always making changes in the way of documentation and instructions. Just when you get use to one system they up and change it to something so messed up x@&*!.
So if you don't see much of me you know why, #3 was a big reason I retired after all.
But I can always be reached by PM.

Wes.

Most Reactions