The Cockatoo Rescue and Sanctuary

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
This was hard to read, how absolutely awful.
That one cockatoo who was left, he has to be traumatized. I hope he finds a wonderful home.
The latest news as of this week is that heā€™s still alive, but has been in the parrot equivalent of ICU. The case is still open so the records are not yet public. There has not been a designated next of kin. Several people have come forward however who spoke to the owner in the last few months and said she was lucid and supposedly had a volunteer coming weekly to help her, and thereā€™s some evidence that the birds passed away after she died and not before, so there may be a criminal investigation in place.

The moral of the story though is please, before you leave your bird with a rescue or sanctuary, ensure you can visit. And if you are ever unable to get in touch - call the police and insist on a wellness check. Sometimes itā€™s kind to be cruel.

Bebe'smom

Mar 3, 2022
Minnesnowta (Minnesota)
Parrots
A 15 year old cockatiel
Another thing that was brought up another forum is to write your bird's schedule daily, weekly and avian vets name, address, phone number. Make sure that some one knows what you want done, if something happens to you short term and long term. Make sure that you have planned responsible rescue in your mind.
I did a dive into this rescue after seeing this on another forum. She had board of governors until the last couple of years. And according to what I read she had a perpetual license with state of Washington. There were some delinquent annual reports and missing annual reports.
There was. NO contingency plan beyond that. Also if you relinquished a bird to her, you could not visit her facility ever. To me that is red flag. Huge red flag.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The latest news as of this week is that heā€™s still alive, but has been in the parrot equivalent of ICU. The case is still open so the records are not yet public. There has not been a designated next of kin. Several people have come forward however who spoke to the owner in the last few months and said she was lucid and supposedly had a volunteer coming weekly to help her, and thereā€™s some evidence that the birds passed away after she died and not before, so there may be a criminal investigation in place.

The moral of the story though is please, before you leave your bird with a rescue or sanctuary, ensure you can visit. And if you are ever unable to get in touch - call the police and insist on a wellness check. Sometimes itā€™s kind to be cruel.
Another thing that was brought up another forum is to write your bird's schedule daily, weekly and avian vets name, address, phone number. Make sure that some one knows what you want done, if something happens to you short term and long term. Make sure that you have planned responsible rescue in your mind.
I did a dive into this rescue after seeing this on another forum. She had board of governors until the last couple of years. And according to what I read she had a perpetual license with state of Washington. There were some delinquent annual reports and missing annual reports.
There was. NO contingency plan beyond that. Also if you relinquished a bird to her, you could not visit her facility ever. To me that is red flag. Huge red flag.
I've made contingency plans to place my flock in a sanctuary when unable to care for them. Extremely critical to properly vet facilities and ensure they have board of directors and succession plans. One-entity endeavors doomed to fail absent robust oversight. Well run sanctuaries encourage and monetize public visitation as part of mission to educate and share parrot splendor!

DianaC

Apr 29, 2022
Parrots
Mango
My friend, Mango, moved in with all the other cockatoos in June 2018. Iā€™m heartbroken that she and Lori and all the other birds died. I donā€™t want to believe it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My friend, Mango, moved in with all the other cockatoos in June 2018. Iā€™m heartbroken that she and Lori and all the other birds died. I donā€™t want to believe it.
My deepest condolences for the tragic, senseless loss of Mango.

Most Reactions