The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
He accidentally dropped the millet but took a walnut I'd left in the bowl, and another walnut in the hanging toy (he took that one for the road 🀣 back up to the platform) and now he's back on his boing beak grinding and happy!!!

Also - you all!!!! - this table is like only THREE FEET from where I'm sitting and he was RIGHT THERE !!! While I was facing him!

😍😍😍😍

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Woot woot!!!! He did it!!!! Yippee!!!! Awesome so awesome!!
You made a great set up for him and now that he is a millet addicted πŸ˜†
Fantastic out of cage, enrichment, and you

I love tbe earlier photo of him sizing up the obstacles to his sweet millet! You could see the wheels turning!

He being so happy just makes me feel so happy!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton came out for dinner tonight! Motivated by a walnut he had to search for in the pineapple 😁

He's now marching around the top of his cage destroying balsa blocks :)

PXL_20220505_234911429.jpg

PXL_20220505_234915348.jpg

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I think Cotton's coloring is more vibrant now.

My coworker saw a new photo of him today and exclaimed at how blue his head is - she hadn't even noticed before.

So even if he's still eating mostly his seed and just picking at the pellets and fresh foods, the seed mix I bought from the parrot store really is a good one!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think Cotton's coloring is more vibrant now.

My coworker saw a new photo of him today and exclaimed at how blue his head is - she hadn't even noticed before.

So even if he's still eating mostly his seed and just picking at the pellets and fresh foods, the seed mix I bought from the parrot store really is a good one!
I was thinking same thing! Still has one chest feather yippee!
So confident!!! Great job mommy!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
THe more you can get Cotton to spend time playing/destroying toys, the less time he will have to devote to plucking. Slow, slow process.

That's a great point. I am SO happy he already likes toys and I think I'm starting to figure out the types he spends time on so that I can rotate appropriately. I'm hoping that the mental stimulation of figuring out how to get to treats and toys outside his cage will help keep him occupied too.

So far he has really surprised me in that he's not scared of any new object I put in or around his cage - just me :)

How long did it take Salty to learn to walk on the chain? So far Cotton chooses anything that looks like cage bars or natural wood to walk on, so I think I'll have to take baby steps. I was thinking of stringing some across his cage, taut so it doesn't move as much, with his favorite cork toy nearby. Then slowly increase the "give". Him being able to walk on and climb that would be a game changer for his mobility!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Honestly he took to the chain in a day or 2 and got gradually more confident on it. Helps that his daytime feeding station is suspended from it. Gotta get to the black berries!!!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Sassy little bird watching me watch him climb under the heater, poking his head out to make sure I notice πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜±πŸ˜‚

PXL_20220506_211948689.jpg

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
That's a great point. I am SO happy he already likes toys and I think I'm starting to figure out the types he spends time on so that I can rotate appropriately. I'm hoping that the mental stimulation of figuring out how to get to treats and toys outside his cage will help keep him occupied too.

So far he has really surprised me in that he's not scared of any new object I put in or around his cage - just me :)

How long did it take Salty to learn to walk on the chain? So far Cotton chooses anything that looks like cage bars or natural wood to walk on, so I think I'll have to take baby steps. I was thinking of stringing some across his cage, taut so it doesn't move as much, with his favorite cork toy nearby. Then slowly increase the "give". Him being able to walk on and climb that would be a game changer for his mobility!
That's amazing! He's very brave to not be scared of new objects. I'm sure that will be helpful in the long game.
Anything new for The Rebel has to start out across the room so she can give a good stare down.
By the way I love seeing him out of the cage. You're wearing him down πŸ˜† it's only a matter of time before he's a Velcro bird ❀

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
A little early morning balsa sculpting and toy flinging :) At one point the balsa looked like a heart and I'm so disappointed I didn't get that photo, ha

PXL_20220508_125326311.jpg

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
A little early morning balsa sculpting and toy flinging :) At one point the balsa looked like a heart and I'm so disappointed I didn't get that photo, ha

View attachment 39671
The backround looks like a sunset!!! He's so cute, how are you doing in terms of taming him?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It's coming along very very very very slowly :)
Welp, that's bird taming for ya. Seems like he's doing well, though, destroying stuff is always a good sign.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Welp, that's bird taming for ya. Seems like he's doing well, though, destroying stuff is always a good sign.

He might take a very long time to think it's safe to step up, given his species and likely history before he was purchased at 9 months by his previous family. But he's taking obvious steps toward being comfortable interacting with me every day, which has really surprised me! I bet within a year he'll be stealing food off my plate :)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I think I've watched that video of Cotton playing and growling at the ball 100 times now. I just can't believe how many new things he's tried in such a short time!

He's such a delight.

My son and I were sitting on the couch yesterday morning when his girlfriend came out and sat down by Cotton's cage. She was talking to him and said, "Oh Cotton you have a couple of feathers, good job!" and at the same time my son and I whisper-yelled "Don't tell him!" in the same tone of voice as each other πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ She thought we'd lost it and then we couldn't stop giggling about it.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Dinner time

I've been making myself a salad with Cotton supervising and then we eat together. In the morning same with granola + pellets. He *always* eats with me and I love it so much!

Tonight he went straight for his bowl and ate enough that I think he got some veggies too! I'll have to investigate when he's done. After that he beelined straight for his tree outside the cage and is eating seeds (and maybe pellets) that he's probably been eyeing all day.

I'm just in total awe that he's out and about and interacting with me this much already!

PXL_20220509_234127996.jpg

PXL_20220509_235015344.jpg

Most Reactions