The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You’re welcome. Just remember that bleach doesn’t work well if there’s already a heavy burden of organic soiling. You need to remove the food and poop and residue and then use bleach for the bleaching to work.

Last edited:
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
You’re welcome. Just remember that bleach doesn’t work well if there’s already a heavy burden of organic soiling. You need to remove the food and poop and residue and then use bleach for the bleaching to work.
Thank you!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
@Laurasea maybe dark grey? I'll have to try to get a good daylight photo when he doesn't go flat-feather-head when he sees me 😒

PXL_20220512_000622222.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Don't forget to throw out all filters. Chlamydia is highly aerosols. And do your humidifier if it has a filters replace it. I know you keep everything very clean. Its just this darn bacteria is hard to eliminate . My vet gave peak times extra cleaning....of course I didn't hang on to it@
But definitely have to toss ac/filter abd vacuum filters aagain in a couple of weeks.. really clean vacuum because my vet researched that ..when trying to help me eliminate

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
@Laurasea maybe dark grey? I'll have to try to get a good daylight photo when he doesn't go flat-feather-head when he sees me 😒

View attachment 39779
I think so. look at how white the over-all reduced swelling puffy around eye . And love seeing that pupil!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@Beak has lightened! I knew it would with reduced Inflammation and better diet! And look how healthy his skin is!
Its possible he might need a sinus flushing tho..see possible slight swelling between eye and his worst nostril.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

View attachment 39779
I think so. Beak has lightened! I knew it would with reduced Inflation and better diet! And look how healthy his skin is

View attachment 39779
Can you share this great eye pic and one if his dark sick eye pics on the ornithology thread with my Pikachu eye pics. There are so few examples of this. And I think it would be so beneficial for people to see what systemic Inflammation ( and or sinus Inflammation) looks like in parrots eyes. Especially linked with chlamydiosis

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I forgot the reason I wasn't putting a bunch of paper toys in Cottons cage originally was because of Chlamydia.....and put several new ones on rotation when I went on my trip. Whooooops. I'm not finding any info on whether F10 and a very long dry in the sun is adequate so I may have made a silly costly error!

I bought new air filter inserts when I got the machine, and I might have gotten lucky that we are now humid enough not to need the humidifier.

I haven't been vacuuming directly around his cage because I only have a stick vacuum where one of the filters shouldn't be bleached/wetted and I haven't received the replacement filter yet. I do steam clean the whole room with plain water weekly - that machine picks up all the small wood chip and seed pieces I haven't gotten by hand, and can be bleach-soaked easily (and has many times due to former 20+ year old dog and cats).

I'm going to try to entice Cotton to go inside Keiko's travel cage that lives here. If he does this would be *amazing* for many reasons!! But would allow me to take him outside, and have a safe space so I can take his own cage apart, and gives me a way to move him to a different room more easily. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Since his fall he's been more keen on the top of his cage where beforehand he was exploring out front on various play setups. So we'll see.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Wow. Willow, I’m pretty sure, has dark brown eyes. Blue would be striking with his blue feathers, but we are not so lucky.
I've seen several white with blue wings Quakers on Craigslist here and I always wonder if their eyes are still brown (it looks like yes in the photos). In lamp lighting Cotton's eyes look brown but in daylight they're definitely starting to look more grey, not that he lets me get that close!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I've seen several white with blue wings Quakers on Craigslist here and I always wonder if their eyes are still brown (it looks like yes in the photos). In lamp lighting Cotton's eyes look brown but in daylight they're definitely starting to look more grey, not that he lets me get that close!
Willow is really mad at me right now. I was having an arthritis flare and hadn’t taken him out to play for 2-3 days. And I’m wondering if he doesn’t like his Harrison’s lifetime pellets. He was very very hungry and is eating his second avicake. This is concerning.

Though I can’t touch him right now, I’m pretty sure his eyes are a dark ash brown. Like the color of dark chocolate.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Willow is really mad at me right now. I was having an arthritis flare and hadn’t taken him out to play for 2-3 days. And I’m wondering if he doesn’t like his Harrison’s lifetime pellets. He was very very hungry and is eating his second avicake. This is concerning.

Though I can’t touch him right now, I’m pretty sure his eyes are a dark ash brown. Like the color of dark chocolate.
Awww poor Willow and you too! It seems kids of all species like the treat food when mom is sick ;)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Awww poor Willow and you too! It seems kids of all species like the treat food when mom is sick ;)
I’m worried maybe Willow hadn’t transitioned well from Harrison’s high potency to Harrison’s lifetime pellets. Maybe he’s just not eating the new pellets?

He is frantically hungry and thoroughly MAD AT ME. And is eating avicake #3.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think Cotton might be sore after his tumble - he's been taking his normal nap times right under the heater :( I might try to mount it on the side of his cage instead but I need to make sure the bars won't get too hot.

Screenshot_20220512-134446.png

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I’m worried maybe Willow hadn’t transitioned well from Harrison’s high potency to Harrison’s lifetime pellets. Maybe he’s just not eating the new pellets?

He is frantically hungry and thoroughly MAD AT ME. And is eating avicake #3.
I'm glad he at least has *something* he likes eating if he doesn't like the lifetime pellets! That's a puzzle.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think Cotton might be sore after his tumble - he's been taking his normal nap times right under the heater :( I might try to mount it on the side of his cage instead but I need to make sure the bars won't get too hot.

View attachment 39807
Poor boy. My very old Quaker loved loved loved her heater and I know she was sore from arthritis. So I wonder if mr. Cotton has some bruising? Although you would be able to SEE IT… since he’s bare.

You have gotten a bird with much personality…

Do you want to take him to the vet to be checked out? I think he’d be upset about that but maybe you’d get some info or have peace of mind.

I just checked Willow’s breast muscle and he doesn’t FEEL skinny. Now he’s done a couple tail wags and is preening himself. I hope he will be done being mad at me. Guess I should apologize…

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I also hope Willow is done being mad at you!

I'm assuming Cotton doesn't have serious internal injuries since it's been over 24 hours and he's overall playful and eating normally, so I haven't taken him in. If he wasn't terrified of people I probably would have but he's had enough of a scare for the week :eek:

Maybe he's just feeling cozy after yesterday's storm? My dog is also completely snuggled up and sleeping today even though it's quite warm outside.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He's currently letting me know ALL about the city tree cleanup trucks outside 🔊🔊🔊

Most Reactions