The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I might be irrationally excited about that, but bring on the Vitamin A!

I rotate all veggies through raw in different shapes and cooked, and every few days make a mash with sweet potatoes or blitzed pellets or baby bird formula which is then mixed with whole pellets and a little seed. Today he just chowed down! It took him a few tastes and lots of cleaning his beak between bites, and some flinging, but he's gone back to the bowl multiple times now just to eat.

Today's discards on the floor and the blanket under his play stand include

* Carrots raw diced, and sticks
* Thai peppers cut lengthwise
* Half a habanero put back in the bowl and rethrown approximately 25 times 😆
* One circular slice of yellow summer squash that he growled at and played with for about 5 minutes before flinging it halfway across the room 🏋️‍♀️
* Kale
* Spinach
* Tomato heirloom type, wedge with seeds

I've been using a blanket around the base of the play stand in case he falls but I might have to rethink my cleaning strategy 😄

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That is impressive!
Great job Cotton on at least eating some especially the sweet potatoes! I have always served them cooked, but last time the raiders grabbed as I was slicing and enjoyed them raw ;)

I've tried lots if peppers because eventually parrot is different. But mine only eat red chili and bell, they have nibbles some other kinds but not well.

COTTON! HE IS ADVANCING LEAPS AND BOUNDS!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm so excited and proud of him! I expected we'd go a bit backwards after my trip so I'm just thrilled! He hasn't even been home 2 months yet and he's had a lot of change even during those two months.

I tried to get a picture of his very full crop but my phone died after I got this poorly lit photo. He's still chewing off new feathers but he has a lot of downy floof right now. Little Cotton fluffy butt :)

PXL_20220522_000217027.jpg

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
have always served them cooked, but last time the raiders grabbed as I was slicing and enjoyed them raw ;)

I can totally picture your birds stealing potato slices as you're cutting them 😄
girl! I zoomed in and that iris is even bluer!!!
Hahaha! I was just editing my post for exactly this!! "Auntie Laura look how light my eyes are getting even in nighttime!"

I've been able to see him pinning a lot more lately when he's playing and eating - it's so cool!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I can totally picture your birds stealing potato slices as you're cutting them 😄

Hahaha! I was just editing my post for exactly this!! "Auntie Laura look how light my eyes are getting even in nighttime!"

I've been able to see him pinning a lot more lately when he's playing and eating - it's so cool!
Look at all that fuzz! Way to go!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Yesterday I did my usual weekly clean of all Cotton's perches and inside cage bars. Last week I did a big deep clean and replaced all his toys, and had to eliminate some I couldn't find duplicates of, so I waited until this week to move things around, and added a couple new foraging toys.

I work today but am mostly in my office, and I'm bummed I just realized my pet cam isn't on! I can't spy on what he thinks of the new layout!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Mr. Cotton has hit a lot of new-companion-parrot milestones in the past few weeks but Enjoying Human Company is NOT one of them

We'll get there.

Attachments

• PXL_20220526_015310335.jpg
    PXL_20220526_015310335.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Mr Food Critic over here making a big show of flinging veggies 😃

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-185550.png
    Screenshot_20220529-185550.png
    359.7 KB · Views: 45
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Last night Cotton didn't go back inside his cage to sleep - it's been really stormy so it surprised me, but he loves spending all day outside climbing and playing. He's relatively safe outside his cage and he looked very cozy on his favored perch so I left him. I think he liked waking up and getting to investigate his foraging spots right away, but I hadn't refilled them yet because he was still out 🙃

I've been listening to a behavior podcast on my commutes and something the host said stood out - "what is your animal practicing the most? Are they practicing fear or anxiety when you are near them more than they are practicing calm and seeking interaction with you?"

🧐

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Last night Cotton didn't go back inside his cage to sleep - it's been really stormy so it surprised me, but he lives spending all day outside climbing and playing. He's relatively safe outside his cage and he looked very cozy on his favored perch so I left him. I think he likes waking up and getting to investigate his foraging spots right away, but I hadn't refilled them yet because he was still out 🙃

I've been listening to a behavior podcast on my commutes and something the host said stood out - "what is your animal practicing the most? Are they practicing fear or anxiety when you are near them more than they are practicing calm and seeking interaction with you?"

🧐
That last quote concerns me. My Willow is really troubled by this issue with his pellets. It takes him a long time to settle down and he’s not licking me like before. He’s more testy and less relaxed. I hate to see him be so wound up and upset about what (I’d consider) a small thing.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Yesterday I did my usual weekly clean of all Cotton's perches and inside cage bars. Last week I did a big deep clean and replaced all his toys, and had to eliminate some I couldn't find duplicates of, so I waited until this week to move things around, and added a couple new foraging toys.

I work today but am mostly in my office, and I'm bummed I just realized my pet cam isn't on! I can't spy on what he thinks of the new layout!
I have a blink camera, and I spy on Nico all of the time. I talk to him too. I say Nico, and get him going all the time. It's fun!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton spent the last 2 days and nights outside his cage, during some loud thunderstorms and my son/dog visiting (but gated out of the room). I just gave him his dinner and made a big show of putting a walnut in it, and in he went, hehe. He is playing with his toys like he's been gone for a year and it's super cute.

It's 85-ish degrees and over 50% humidity naturally today and I think he's very happy with this :)

Last edited:

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Cotton is so cute with his fuzzies coming in! And I bet you're proud of him for taking the walnut :D.

Holy heck @ it being 85-ish degrees! We're in the high 50's, low 60's here. SO. MUCH. Rain.

Most Reactions