The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Today it's high 50s low 60s! And overnight rain all week it seems.

My dog walker was gone last week and he commented yesterday on how much fuzz Cotton has right now - now if he'd just let his actual feathers grow ;)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Some brave birdie ate red pepper tonight and loved it so much he went to find all the pieces he'd wiped off his beak!

(I think maybe I'm at my media limit; the options are greyed out for me, oops)

Attachments

• PXL_20220603_002517082.jpg
    PXL_20220603_002517082.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20220603_002553815.jpg
    PXL_20220603_002553815.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 42
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton is getting very brave jumping from perch to perch even outside his cage! He made a big jump today and caught himself from falling forward, and when I heaped praise on him he looked right at me. I think he was pretty proud of himself.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I hate media limits !
Lmao at your butt song! Caught me by surprise!
Where is my painting? ;)
Did you add his name?
Is it hanging in the garage lol?
Congratulations on pepper!
Love his set up
Love his confidence
Love Cotton!

That song made me laugh hahaha

I just moved it today! I thought I posted it here but looks like not! It's not in the garage 🤣. I ended up hanging a bunch of climbing stuff right in front of it to the left of his cage but now I need it on the other side where I can see it all the time!! It's dark now but I'll take a pic in the morning! I love it so much!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton was 18 months in December but I don't know his actual hatch date. I made coffee yesterday morning and let Cotton out then noticed tons of white stuff falling out the window.

Cottonwood fluff everywhere! This happens every year in June here, so I decided Cotton's Hatchday celebration will be the days cotton fluff is floating everywhere - so, this weekend has been all about Happy Hatchday, Cotton!!

My favorite present for Cotton is from his auntie Laura!! Look how talented she is! This made me cry when I got it even though I'd seen the photo here before - it's so lovely and thoughtful and so perfectly Cotton's expression!! The writing on it is mine 😆 I'm not nearly as good with a sharpie paint pen as Laura is with paint!!

PXL_20220605_001954733.jpg

He got an early present when I got a great deal on a tree play stand, and I rigged up a rope net that I had before him, and a new chunky rope, and tried to give him a plucky bird's version of Disneyworld - including a water park to try to entice my little nudist to finally bathe 😆

PXL_20220605_002018242.jpg

PXL_20220605_002031639.jpg

PXL_20220605_001927090.jpg

He got red peppers and sweet potatoes and millet and walnuts, and tried chard and snap peas and parsley and cilantro.

PXL_20220605_002844400.jpg

I told him he could spend the night wherever he wanted, and the stinker chose the only sand perch so that's getting swapped out today (he's been rubbing his beak on it a lot as well).

He spent the morning looking out the window and talking to all the morning birdies. He really likes a male Cardinal that visits every day.

PXL_20220605_123703720.jpg

I moved a few things just now to give him more toys and a better perch by the window, so he's on top of his cage playing.

When I was setting everything up yesterday, he was soooo curious! It was so fun to see him just watching and not trying to run away! Until I got out my phone to take pictures anyway 😆 He seems to really like new challenges and I really like pushing his physical capabilities - I'm really proud of him for figuring out how to walk the rope bridge!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
just wow!!! Look at his set up! What an amazing wonderful parrot play land 👏 ❤ 🙌 😀 😍
Awww I love your Cotton added to tge star it needed it! I'm so touched thst you love it and that it has a place of honor !

Cotton is one lucky parrot! Wow
Happy Hatch Day!
Long live Cotton!

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Nice setup! But you have to look hard to find Cotton, seeing as how only his HEAD is bright green. His little chickeny body kind of blends in. A lime green birthday sweater could be ordered on Etsy…

Way back when, For the short time I had an IRN (my only bird that didn’t like me) his cage was near a window. I put a clear stick-on bird feeder on the outside of the window. One day a male cardinal came to the feeder (inches across from Kermit the IRN). Kermit was so surprised to see a red bird he flopped off his perch. But the Red color must be important in signaling considering the big red beak of the adult ringneck. Maybe Cotton is really impressed by the cardinal.

We have a similar tree perch that I also got a good deal on. Can’t recall where it came from.

Happy Hatchday Cotton!!

P.s. Are you feeding extra protein to help with all that feather replacement? I know you have lots of vet help but I am curious if this is harder on Cotton’s body than another molt. I guess he would always be replacing all of his feathers whether bare or fully feathered…

i read your whole thread this morning and I am so impressed and in awe of how well Cotton is doing!

Last edited:
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
just wow!!! Look at his set up! What an amazing wonderful parrot play land 👏 ❤ 🙌 😀 😍
Awww I love your Cotton added to tge star it needed it! I'm so touched thst you love it and that it has a place of honor !

Cotton is one lucky parrot! Wow
Happy Hatch Day!
Long live Cotton!

It's now hanging on the front of his cage as a reminder to him where his bedroom is 😁

PXL_20220607_005442119.jpg

LOL ! Gotta love them birds :D !

Is it Cotton's Hatch Day? If so, Happy Hatch Day, Cotton!

I only know it's sometime in June so I decided yes! Cotton says thank you!

Nice setup! But you have to look hard to find Cotton, seeing as how only his HEAD is bright green. His little chickeny body kind of blends in. A lime green birthday sweater could be ordered on Etsy…

Way back when, For the short time I had an IRN (my only bird that didn’t like me) his cage was near a window. I put a clear stick-on bird feeder on the outside of the window. One day a male cardinal came to the feeder (inches across from Kermit the IRN). Kermit was so surprised to see a red bird he flopped off his perch. But the Red color must be important in signaling considering the big red beak of the adult ringneck. Maybe Cotton is really impressed by the cardinal.

We have a similar tree perch that I also got a good deal on. Can’t recall where it came from.

Happy Hatchday Cotton!!

P.s. Are you feeding extra protein to help with all that feather replacement? I know you have lots of vet help but I am curious if this is harder on Cotton’s body than another molt. I guess he would always be replacing all of his feathers whether bare or fully feathered…

i read your whole thread this morning and I am so impressed and in awe of how well Cotton is doing!

That's really interesting about your IRN and the cardinal!! You're sure right about Cotton's body being incognito 😊

Now that it looks like his flight feathers are developing pins I've started adding baby bird formula to his meals. And keeping the room really warm with the Sweeter Heater next to where he sleeps - I had it set on top for a long time and he's been wanting to sit right under it so I'm sure the heat feels good when his body is growing so many new feathers all at once!

He's definitely becoming a very adventurous little man! Every time I change up the perches and ropes, he heads straight over to investigate.

It's incredible to me that it hasn't even been three months!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I just read the beginning of this thread and saw that Cotton had a yeast infection of his skin and that’s caused some of his plucking and elective nudism. I didnt know you’d found a cause and I am very glad you did.

I had a yeast infection of the skin for many years. They can be very itchy and very sore. I finally figured out that was the problem after years as an adult with acne and weird skin problems/sores. Suddenly after a systemic antifungal med for another issue my skin looks beautiful and doesn’t hurt or itch. (Yes, now that I’m getting grey hairs around my ears, I don’t have zits any more.)

I got scolded for “picking at” my skin when I was a child and teenager. If a human does that, just think how a bird must feel with his feather shafts infected, too. I’m sure it’s itchier than the infection in hair follicles like I have had. Cotton is probably much more comfortable and happy after this treatment and in your home. I hope he can grow in some feathers and not looks so cold! I think Cotton will keep warming up to you. I really admire your patience with him.
It's now hanging on the front of his cage as a reminder to him where his bedroom is 😁

View attachment 40739

I only know it's sometime in June so I decided yes! Cotton says thank you!

That's really interesting about your IRN and the cardinal!! You're sure right about Cotton's body being incognito 😊

Now that it looks like his flight feathers are developing pins I've started adding baby bird formula to his meals. And keeping the room really warm with the Sweeter Heater next to where he sleeps - I had it set on top for a long time and he's been wanting to sit right under it so I'm sure the heat feels good when his body is growing so many new feathers all at once!

He's definitely becoming a very adventurous little man! Every time I change up the perches and ropes, he heads straight over to investigate.

It's incredible to me that it hasn't even been three months!
I didn’t realize until reading through this thread that you’ve had Cotton in your home for such a short time. I’m impressed by your patience and ability to note small behavior changes and body langauge indicating relaxation, reduced vigilance, etc. This is the way to go with a rescued parrot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I realize I forgot to compliment your brilliance in adding the stylish bird bath! I'm sure one day Cotton will appreciate this lux bath!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I see the bird bath now. An eBay seller is offering me 7% off of two baths. Why? Who knows.
I bought Willow a heart shaped bowl and he was afraid of it..☹️ Missed opportunity for cuteness.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Cotton was 18 months in December but I don't know his actual hatch date. I made coffee yesterday morning and let Cotton out then noticed tons of white stuff falling out the window.

Cottonwood fluff everywhere! This happens every year in June here, so I decided Cotton's Hatchday celebration will be the days cotton fluff is floating everywhere - so, this weekend has been all about Happy Hatchday, Cotton!!

My favorite present for Cotton is from his auntie Laura!! Look how talented she is! This made me cry when I got it even though I'd seen the photo here before - it's so lovely and thoughtful and so perfectly Cotton's expression!! The writing on it is mine 😆 I'm not nearly as good with a sharpie paint pen as Laura is with paint!!

View attachment 40671

He got an early present when I got a great deal on a tree play stand, and I rigged up a rope net that I had before him, and a new chunky rope, and tried to give him a plucky bird's version of Disneyworld - including a water park to try to entice my little nudist to finally bathe 😆

View attachment 40672
View attachment 40667
View attachment 40666

He got red peppers and sweet potatoes and millet and walnuts, and tried chard and snap peas and parsley and cilantro.

View attachment 40668

I told him he could spend the night wherever he wanted, and the stinker chose the only sand perch so that's getting swapped out today (he's been rubbing his beak on it a lot as well).

He spent the morning looking out the window and talking to all the morning birdies. He really likes a male Cardinal that visits every day.

View attachment 40673

I moved a few things just now to give him more toys and a better perch by the window, so he's on top of his cage playing.

When I was setting everything up yesterday, he was soooo curious! It was so fun to see him just watching and not trying to run away! Until I got out my phone to take pictures anyway 😆 He seems to really like new challenges and I really like pushing his physical capabilities - I'm really proud of him for figuring out how to walk the rope bridge!!
BTW oh please stick this awesome set up in tgread!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
@HeatherG it's crazy that it hasn't even been three months, isn't it?!?! There are a lot of days where I feel like I'm not doing great reading his body language but I know I'm learning and so is he. Willow is missing out not using his heart shaped bowl!

@Laurasea @HeatherG The bird bath makes me laugh so hard - he wants nothing to do with it yet of course :) I actually spent a good hour yesterday thinking about how I could rig up a little shower over it haha

I'm guessing it'll be like everything else so far with him; I'll just keep offering different things and one of them will finally get him curious enough to try it out. Or it will be long enough that he'll be a target training champ and we can train him to like bathing.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That pet fountain you described sounded WONDERFUL. I’d like to try that for Willow and Jasper. But we are going to have a shower and wash all the garden dirt off of me.

Willows bowl was blue and cream and matched him so nicely. Too bad it was a bird eating vortex of doom.

What about a shower perch for Cotton sometime in the future? Or just a spray bottle.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I have misted him a couple of times with a spray bottle. He's not a fan. Last time I did it his skin looked dry and he was kinda picking here and there so I misted him with aloe vera juice (not the gel). He pulled out a lot of damp feathers immediately afterward, but since then he's let all his feather growth happen so it did help!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have misted him a couple of times with a spray bottle. He's not a fan. Last time I did it his skin looked dry and he was kinda picking here and there so I misted him with aloe vera juice (not the gel). He pulled out a lot of damp feathers immediately afterward, but since then he's let all his feather growth happen so it did help!
I found a birdbath with hooks on Ebay that I can leave in Willow’s cage, empty, and fill after a while so he may be less scared of it. That might be an option.

Most Reactions

Latest posts