The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
The internet says feathered hairstyles are back.

Cotton is on trend, that's for sure.

PXL_20220707_112134439~2.jpg

PXL_20220707_112125561~2.jpg

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I love the one he'd frayed so that it looks like a big comb 🤣

I put on preening and bathing videos yesterday. He wasn't too keen yet on following along 🙂 but I'm going to keep doing it.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I feel the same way about chicken now :)

Cotton's face is molting now and he looks like he's wearing a costume - this isn't a great picture since I'm at work and spying and he always catches me spying lol

Screenshot_20220712-103446.png

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I feel the same way about chicken now :)

Cotton's face is molting now and he looks like he's wearing a costume - this isn't a great picture since I'm at work and spying and he always catches me spying lol

View attachment 41977
Oh my goodness gracious! I barely recognized Cotton in the photo. He’s looking great!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh my goodness gracious! I barely recognized Cotton in the photo. He’s looking great!

When he's out and I check on him from the camera across the room, I keep not seeing him because I'm not used to him being green!

He still snips a ton of little feathers (there's one on his boing in that pic haha) and chews up his flight feathers but I'm so glad he's at least not pulling them from the bone 🥰

The more I get to know him, the more convinced I am that he had no proper bird parenting, with his lack of bathing/preening skills and not wanting to eat soft warm foods.

But I know he's doing better than when I met him, at least medically! Now if we'd just make progress with each other :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh I think that dark eyeliner and a bit rough-around-the-edges look suits Cotton just fine! Hopefully with time he'll quit snipping those feathers off too. He's looking quite magnificent! :love:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow had a wet, skinny, chicken-y look today after his bath. He looked so small. Reminded me of Cotton before the New Fancy lime green feathers. And then he looked too funny wrapped up in his green bathrobe.

How is the debonair Cotton doing today? Any new pics?

Willow has finished his sauna day and both he and Jasper have much cleaner cages. The tub and shower are disinfecting and soon I scrub it and bleach the bath mat. Yuck, so much bird doo.

And more to come!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
There really is always more bird doo to follow 😆

...holding his wing feather in his foot while he preens aka nibbles 😶😶😶

He pulls out chest feathers grooming them like a cat, looong slow tugs on them.

Clearly he wasn't raised by his parents but maybe not by a person either. Maybe the shop cat. This would explain his water aversion and his dubious self care methods.

I left messages with a couple vets today since his face is looking more ragged than just molting.

PXL_20220713_183746295.jpg
PXL_20220713_182816331.jpg

PXL_20220713_182853317.jpg
PXL_20220713_182912915.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wow! He looks great! And so much more comfortable, I hope.

Willow could give some lessons in preening and grooming. He had a regular spa day today. He’s so into the preen, it’s ridiculous.
B98655BA-59EB-46FE-BB6D-70BA7ABCB3B2.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes , if you look at your avatar picture and your pictures just now...you can see more stains above his nostril than before. Plus he has rubbed off the feathers around nares , exposing much more skin there than is normal.

Definitely signs of upper respiratory issue.

I kinda worry yeast...fungal, or rebounding bacterial infection
Could still be the chlamydia, and this article mentions mycoplasma ( which my vet has thought possible with mine)

His eyes do seem to have slight swelling. They appear smaller in picture like they might have puffiness around them. Hard to tell if darkened again.

Hopefully you will have a veterinarian wriegh in and share their perspective with us.

Poor guy. He has come a long way tho! Hopefully just a small bump in the road on his way to full recovery

That wing stretch picture us awesome. As are all tge feathers he is allowed to stay!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This poster, also with a parrot who had chlamydia, also had feathers loss around nares
Thread 'Amazon parrot feather loss between beak and nostrils' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/amazon-parrot-feather-loss-between-beak-and-nostrils.80983/

Including this article. Mostly because if you scroll down you can see an IRN head shot. Showing normal feathers extend down to top of nostril with minimal skin Showing and nostrils partially cover by festgers
1657852835840.png

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts