The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When dry, Willow’s feathers lay down over nostrils. He has that Quaker cowlick above his beak.

How is Cotton? Is he still looking scruffy?

Seems like moulting one’s facial feathers would affect the ‘look’ of the bird more than moulting body feathers.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He does look very scruffy! His face has so many little pins now.

He's still pulling chest feathers when he preens but he's doing ok with his flight feathers. Tattered but intact 😆

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hehehe YES
Just read through the last week or so’s posts on this thread. Cotton looks amazing!! Hopefully you’ve gotten some insight on the showing skin around his nostrils. In any event, just wanted to let you know that Cozy and I pray for Cotton to stop plucking his feathers every night before we go to bed. It warms my heart to see his progress. Great work!!!! 😍

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh thank you!!! That's so lovely of you and Cozy too!

I'm sure Cotton has something going on with his sinuses, but I struck out on vet appointments when I made calls Friday. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

He's clever enough he probably called ahead and told them all to say they were booked. 😆

Last edited:
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton is sooooo chatty and playful and active this morning! Usually this time of day he's napping but every time I've checked on him he's hunting for treat hiding spots or attacking toys or preening or flapping his wings and talking through it all! He's still not a healthy burd but hopefully he's feeling a little better now!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Today I came home to tons of feathers all over the floor including a flight feathers and tons of little wing feathers. Two days ago he was working at his chest feathers but he could fly without those. Whomp whomp 😭

Right this second he is holding a tail feather in his foot and chewing the end like a piece of taffy.

PXL_20220721_232106436.jpg

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Today I came home to tons of feathers all over the floor including a flight feathers and tons of little wing feathers. Two days ago he was working at his chest feathers but he could fly without those. Whomp whomp 😭

Right this second he is holding a tail feather in his foot and chewing the end like a piece of taffy.

View attachment 42361
poor baby 😥

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

View attachment 42361
Nooooo, don't be doing that to your feathered suit and worrying your mama, Cotton, you dear sweet boy! 🙏

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Those corellas are strangely human-looking. I can’t explain it. Maybe it’s the featherless eye circles that kind of make them look like a pale person who didn’t get enough sleep.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Those corellas are strangely human-looking. I can’t explain it. Maybe it’s the featherless eye circles that kind of make them look like a pale person who didn’t get enough sleep.
He makes the cutest sounds, too!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Now that Cotton's past the worst of his molt and illness, and is more chatty and cheerful, I've gotten back to trying to push the comfort boundary a little further.

Yesterday I decided to hold a walnut at the cage bars above his treat bowl, with the intention of clicking and dropping it into the bowl the moment he made a move toward me.

PXL_20220722_203425749.jpg

Um.

It took an hour 😆

PXL_20220722_211547642.jpg

I had to text my friend for moral support and my rotator cuff gave out long before Cotton's willpower did. But he finally went for it while I was sitting right up against his cage! Click and a second walnut piece deposited and I left the room (his favorite reward).

Day 2, armed with the TV remote, a gin and tonic, walnuts, the clicker, and an empty bladder. Ok buddy, here we go; I'm ready for this standoff!

PXL_20220723_193223936.jpg

Eleven minutes

AND he thought hard about taking a second walnut directly from my fingers (through the bars) but decided against in favor of a warm perch and a nap.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Good for you and Cotton!

I need to find a treat that Willow really likes. I took your idea and bought a big bag of birdseed from which I will pick the safflower and sunflower seeds for rewards. Jasper isn’t so picky or maybe is just more easily bought.

Cotton has so many feathers now! Does he seem more comfortable? He’s a good looking guy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts