The Holidays

Bradmtx34

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction score
37
As I looked at the calendar I noticed that the holidays are quickly upon us. This will be my very first holiday season with the girls. I already foresee a problem that I am sure people on here have experienced. The birds are attracted to shiny stuff like Christmas tree lights. I have no idea how they're going to react once the tree goes up. My wife had some lights strung up in the bedroom and I decided to turn them on to see what their reaction was.... It turned out to be one of the latest and greatest chew toys. Once upon a time I had two cats and I can tell you we did not have Christmas trees around because they were always part of the ornament. So fellow bird owners please tell me how you cope with the holiday season.
 
Oh man, I'm looking forward to the community responses on this!

I've had cats since I was little, so we use fake and unbreakable ornaments. The true terror was my rabbit! That giant fella used to chomp through cables because he liked the shock. He'd snip through the string lights and just look back at you like it was your fault the 'toy' broke!

My budgies used to just roost in the tree and play with the flashing bulbs, so they were harmless.
 
I have a partial distraction. I use bird safe cord available in colorful rolls from online bird stores. Also purchase small bright shiny chew resistant items, easy to replace chew toys, larger harder to chew toys (CAG), positioned for easy replacement paper tube foot toys. (Predrilled holes on everything) I alternate with CAG distance between. Also her preference is foot toys. So lots well spaced. Strung with a bit of bounce from cage to safe place. I have rope perch secured going close enough for one or two foot holds. I make and rotate a couple. I used to have small alternating Xmas lights behind an acrylic shield. They reflected nice on the small shiny. It died. Lazy took over. In my case it good entertainment value and distraction. Nameliss is a CAG nothing is a 100% distraction. But this was enough.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom