The Professor has arrived.

Chewy

Aug 24, 2007
Media
Washington state
Parrots
1cockatoo Chewy 2 cockatiels Male=eli female-=LittleFoot
How old is your bird? Maybe you should go back to some handfeedings like 2-3 a day. You don't have to do alot, but you should abundant feedt ht baby. Especially if you said he's like 5 months old.....................

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
He is only 2 months old.
Still cries out for a hand feed, but when I went and got the special baby food for him, he refuses it. Its called Womberoo baby food for grain eating birds.
I mixed it 1/2 and 1/2 with Pharex baby formula in a hot (not burning) runny paste. He went ballistic when I crossed the room to him with it in my hand, but he took one huge mouthful then refused the rest. He wanted a hand feed, but not that hand feed. The pet shop lady and the bird rescue woman told me it may be bad to revert to a hand feed when he already eats seed. I think as you said before, its a reflex action from this bird when he see people,... He thinks he is going to get fed. See my other post for the only positive news of the morning,... But I have only been up and off the dialysis machine for an hour.

Chewy

Aug 24, 2007
Media
Washington state
Parrots
1cockatoo Chewy 2 cockatiels Male=eli female-=LittleFoot
Try pretty bird formula that is really too young for a bird to be weaned really too young could die.

rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots
2 large macaws 1 CAG, 1 mini macaw, 1 amazon, 1 cockatoo
A 2month old cockatoo is NOT WEANED. It takes months and months to properly wean a bird and if not done correctly it will have serious behavioral effects and may even cause health problems later on.

I think the people at the petshop and the rescue need to do more research.

Also some seeds are ok but an all seed diet IS BAD and WILL cause health problems.

I don't like to give feeding advice but maybe the formula is too cold/hot.

HAVE YOU EVER HANDFED A BABY BEFORE because if not you really should rethink this for the sake of the bird.

If I were you I would contact an AVIAN VET asap. Ask the vet about feeding formulas and what not.

Article on ABUNDANCE WEANING AND FLEDGING.
http://www.nd.edu/~kkiessel/weaning.html

Last edited:

Most Reactions