OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have never seen this footage!!!! Astonishing! Thank you!!!!!!!!

Yes, indeed, the Rb would have been happy to be the Forerooster on the job. Then he could claim credit but not do much work. And attract all the hot hens with his stature and authority.

Haven't we all known a few human Rickeybirds in our day?

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
No kiddin'!

Take a quick look, if you dare, at this colony of Rickeybirds! They burrow into the limestone banks to make their nests (Loro Barranquero, or Burrowing Parrot, is what they're called in Patagonia). They have incredible resistance to barren landscapes and stormy/wintry weather, they fly long distances to find food and water, and their raucous, obnoxious habits are astonishing. They build their nests mere feet apart, yet the roosters insist on scrapping and squawking constantly at the entrances. Every last rooster thinks he's the foreman of the whole shebang. Both sexes are extremely social, yet they spat and fuss constantly.

What a neighborhood.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No kiddin'!

Take a quick look, if you dare, at this colony of Rickeybirds! They burrow into the limestone banks to make their nests (Loro Barranquero, or Burrowing Parrot, is what they're called in Patagonia). They have incredible resistance to barren landscapes and stormy/wintry weather, they fly long distances to find food and water, and their raucous, obnoxious habits are astonishing. They build their nests mere feet apart, yet the roosters insist on scrapping and squawking constantly at the entrances. Every last rooster thinks he's the foreman of the whole shebang. Both sexes are extremely social, yet they spat and fuss constantly.

What a neighborhood.

Sounds like a normal Saturday night for RB!

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Today I learnt that Rickeybird has a blue cousin :eek:

1713195102903.jpeg
Source:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Clearly, RB has several extended family members that enjoy travel as much as he does!

With Hawaii have a different diet base then their normal range in South America that may explain a variation in coloring??
It's written that probably inbreeding is a reason (IMO it makes more sense)

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Wowzer.
Well, from what I read, pet Patis escape captivity and then breed independently ans... strange things happen. That's why Patis are one of two species of parrots (the other is the Quaker) that are illegal to keep in New Jersey. They're known to be tough enough (thanks to their evolution in Patagonia) to survive Jersey winters.
I can dig why a Blue Rickeybird would be cool in Hawaii!
Take it away, Elvis!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Wowzer.
Well, from what I read, pet Patis escape captivity and then breed independently ans... strange things happen. That's why Patis are one of two species of parrots (the other is the Quaker) that are illegal to keep in New Jersey. They're known to be tough enough (thanks to their evolution in Patagonia) to survive Jersey winters.
I can dig why a Blue Rickeybird would be cool in Hawaii!
Take it away, Elvis!
I'll drink to that. With a Blue Hawaii cocktail or two ;)

blue-hawaiian-1.jpg

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I never knew that Blue Patagonians were anywhere! Wicked cool! And didn't know they were illegal to keep in some states. Very wild stuff to learn :D.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel

Most Reactions