LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, all! Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been posting much lately. Did you miss me? SAY YES! I've had a lot going on... y'all know how it is... life can get chaotic! But I want to share some timely thoughts on my journey with the ol' Rickeybird. Some things are really changing. And some aren't.

We all hope for a long and loving relationship with our avian darlings. I never dreamed mine would last this long. I brought a 3-month-old Rickeybird chick home with me in 1984. I was in college. Now, 37 years later, I am several years into retirement. And we are still together, having endured many jobs, a couple of marriages, many moves, many traumatic life events, and a pandemic! He has been a fascinating roommate, a continual challenge, a bizarely affectionate creature, an awful burden at times, and... I love him profoundly and eternally.

What is The Rickeybird like these days?
*At dawn/dusk, he still vocalizes (screams/sings/shouts at 100+ decibels) for a solid half hour.
*He takes a lot more naps.
*He is not so steady on his feet anymore, and I have had to take away his more recklessness-inspiring toys, lest he knock himself off his perches.
*He has finally become very compliant with his Enalapril medication regimen.
*He still loves to destroy favorite toy objects.
*He delights in his daily green chile, which he woos, serenades, and then chews to little pieces, finally devouring the seeds.
*Sadly, he has become less attached to me, sometimes even avoiding my touch, making me wonder if he is experiencing dementia of some kind, not fully recognizing me. You BET that's rough.
*But I'm still the one he runs to... when he falls... at the Vet's... when he has one of his weird nightmares in the wee hours...

I have often joked that one of my most important life goals is to outlive The Rickeybird, to see him out safely and with love. In fact, I promised him that. Sometimes I feel so afraid... of what's to come. Illness? Accident? Difficult decisions? Or...? But I've done a pretty good job so far (if I do say so myself) and I plan to keep doing my best.

If ever you'd like to talk about these issues, please feel free to do that... either here or privately. Facing the end of the journey is scary, for parrots and people and pets (notice I don't categorize parrots in the latter!), but with love and bravery and this Community's support, I know we can do it. Thanks for reading.

Love,
Me'n'theRb

You have soul full of light and a heart full of love, Aunty G. God bless you and Rival and that fabulous, eternal Rickeybird. How blessed you all are to have found each other, and how privileged we are to be able to share your journey with you :smile015:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, all! Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been posting much lately. Did you miss me? SAY YES! I've had a lot going on... y'all know how it is... life can get chaotic! But I want to share some timely thoughts on my journey with the ol' Rickeybird. Some things are really changing. And some aren't.

We all hope for a long and loving relationship with our avian darlings. I never dreamed mine would last this long. I brought a 3-month-old Rickeybird chick home with me in 1984. I was in college. Now, 37 years later, I am several years into retirement. And we are still together, having endured many jobs, a couple of marriages, many moves, many traumatic life events, and a pandemic! He has been a fascinating roommate, a continual challenge, a bizarely affectionate creature, an awful burden at times, and... I love him profoundly and eternally.

What is The Rickeybird like these days?
*At dawn/dusk, he still vocalizes (screams/sings/shouts at 100+ decibels) for a solid half hour.
*He takes a lot more naps.
*He is not so steady on his feet anymore, and I have had to take away his more recklessness-inspiring toys, lest he knock himself off his perches.
*He has finally become very compliant with his Enalapril medication regimen.
*He still loves to destroy favorite toy objects.
*He delights in his daily green chile, which he woos, serenades, and then chews to little pieces, finally devouring the seeds.
*Sadly, he has become less attached to me, sometimes even avoiding my touch, making me wonder if he is experiencing dementia of some kind, not fully recognizing me. You BET that's rough.
*But I'm still the one he runs to... when he falls... at the Vet's... when he has one of his weird nightmares in the wee hours...

I have often joked that one of my most important life goals is to outlive The Rickeybird, to see him out safely and with love. In fact, I promised him that. Sometimes I feel so afraid... of what's to come. Illness? Accident? Difficult decisions? Or...? But I've done a pretty good job so far (if I do say so myself) and I plan to keep doing my best.

If ever you'd like to talk about these issues, please feel free to do that... either here or privately. Facing the end of the journey is scary, for parrots and people and pets (notice I don't categorize parrots in the latter!), but with love and bravery and this Community's support, I know we can do it. Thanks for reading.

Love,
Me'n'theRb

Oh goodness, my big sistah, YES, YES, YES we missed you!

We're all long aware how much you love your Rickybird, and surely after so many years, he knows it too! It's such a beautiful and fun filled story to follow, and we'll keep on following your amazing journey with him. :) Yes, without question, you've given him an incredible, challenging, interesting long life, and will undoubtedly continue to do so. Bravo Miss Sunshine! I love you, my dear friend [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The saga of Gail and Rickeybird is one for the ages, may it continue unabated for years to come! No parrot on this earth has a more devoted parront than you, dearest Gail! You are so fortunate having magnificent Kirby at your side!!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Words that will lodge in my heart. Eternal Rickeybird... Hold close what you love and sometimes loves you... a smooth twilight... an incredible, challenging, interesting long life... the saga of Gail and Rickeybird...
Thanks, my loves. I know where to come for what I need.
Thank you for letting my abide in your embrace.
I love all the new folks, antics, information, photos, everything...
And then the peace and support when I need it.
Good stuff, all of it. Best stuff on Earth.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
37 years together...you and the Rb are such an inspiration to me. Yours truly is a love story for the ages, my Friend. I am so happy that he has you now, just as he always has. He could not be in more loving, caring and capable hands as his naps grow longer, and his steps slower. Not to mention being sung to sleep by such a beautiful voice!
I love both of you (And Rival) sooo much!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Thanks, Terrio and Ace. Isn't it amazing? Our SuperVet and I were reminiscing at our last visit. He and his main assistant have known the Rickeybird since about 1998 when we moved up to Cleveland from New Mexico.
I do love that we can offer our companions the help they need when they get older. I know many of you have senior psittacines (and other older animals) and it's heartbreaking to imagine them trying to fend for themselves after they lose their peak abilities. It's wonderful to know that even on bad days, or when they're fighting off an illness... they can count on a warm, safe place with plentiful food and water and kind words! Isn't it a great feeling? It is.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks, Terrio and Ace. Isn't it amazing? Our SuperVet and I were reminiscing at our last visit. He and his main assistant have known the Rickeybird since about 1998 when we moved up to Cleveland from New Mexico.
I do love that we can offer our companions the help they need when they get older. I know many of you have senior psittacines (and other older animals) and it's heartbreaking to imagine them trying to fend for themselves after they lose their peak abilities. It's wonderful to know that even on bad days, or when they're fighting off an illness... they can count on a warm, safe place with plentiful food and water and kind words! Isn't it a great feeling? It is.

A pity and tragedy more parrots cannot grow senior in unison with grace and superb medical care as you and Rb.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
And, tonight's action-packed Patagonian footage...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8cQ0--If5g

So that the bird can share in the solemn honor, I would like to propose that our moments of silence be observed NOW, lots of them, BEFORE the bird casts off his mortal coils. THIS INCLUDES THE BIRD. It's only fitting and proper, say I. Let's start now, bird. Yeah. YEAH!

Last edited:
OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
zVugafD.png

I think that about sums it up.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So that the bird can share in the solemn honor, I would like to propose that our moments of silence be observed NOW, lots of them, BEFORE the bird casts off his mortal coils. THIS INCLUDES THE BIRD. It's only fitting and proper, say I. Let's start now, bird. Yeah. YEAH!

Well Rival, allow me to be the first to say, it's been real nice knowin' ya!! :eek:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Life sucks my dear friend! I too worry constantly about my fid's. Healthwise I'm not in the greatest of shape. What will become of them when I cross Rainbow Bridge to see Smokey once again? ( I know...sounds morbid but a fact I must think of) Who will take care of them? Who will love and cherish them as much as I??? Certainly not my son and David would just let them wither away in their houses. He has never tried to interact with Amy (he bites!) and little Beebs,he gets p.o. at coz he "screeches" or growls at him coz he just gives up...truly not a "bird" person..so he'll just give them away. I see Amy in my mind.."where is Dad???" "Why don't I go on adventures anymore??" "No "outside,in the car" It makes me sick to my stomach!
Thinking of you and the Rickeybird my wonderful friend.

Jim

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Oh, Jim, we have all these important things to share and take on and deal with and surmount and... yet... suddenly I discover that...
THE FORUMS HAVE CHANGED FORMATS AND TACTICS AND...
I had to search out the Scrapbook thread, and now I can't even figure out if I've thanked people or not! What else will I find to disrupt my precious Parrot Forums experience????????
We'll do our best to help one another through these challenges of life, Jim, AND EVERYBODY, but meanwhile, I'm going to get my courage up and tour the Forums to see what other surprises await!!!!!!

Somebody hold my hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh, Jim, we have all these important things to share and take on and deal with and surmount and... yet... suddenly I discover that...
THE FORUMS HAVE CHANGED FORMATS AND TACTICS AND...
I had to search out the Scrapbook thread, and now I can't even figure out if I've thanked people or not! What else will I find to disrupt my precious Parrot Forums experience????????
We'll do our best to help one another through these challenges of life, Jim, AND EVERYBODY, but meanwhile, I'm going to get my courage up and tour the Forums to see what other surprises await!!!!!!

Somebody hold my hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will always hold your hand, Sis!
Unfortunately, the thanks given before the upgrade could not be transferred over. It now is Like rather than Thank and you will be able to see your name once you click like on a post.

Most Reactions

Latest posts