The Rickeybird Scrapbook, 1984 - Updates

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I have really enjoyed reading this and seeing the pics...what a wonderful treasure trove of laughter and fun filled memories you and the Rickeybird have in that scrapbook. Thank you for sharing it I enjoyed reading it very much ...keep them coming :)

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you, Birdigirl... and congratulations again on your Bird-ID win... that was a feat!

I love sharing. Don't get me wrong... it was a very enjoyable (yet solitary) task, but sharing it with people who love birds as much as *I* do... priceless!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
And nexxxxt, in the Rickeybird's Scrapbook...

Not all of you will remember these two magazines... "Bird Talk" and "American Cage Bird", but back in the day, they were staples of bird-lovers' reading material. I think the internet dragged them under. ANYWAY, I loved replying to their surveys and such.

Here are contributions from 1985, 1990, 1992, and 1997. If you have trouble reading parts, worry not. I was just pretty much droning on about his loudness, his antics, his rivalry with my husband, how he reacted when I got a job after completing school, etc. The picture of him was taken in early 1985.

Here's something funny: I spell the Rickeybird's name with an "e"... not sure how it got started, but that's how I do it. The well-meaning editors changed it to "Ricky", figuring I didn't know how to spell my own parrot's name!?
vjTOb6X.jpg

eGtnoMW.jpg

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's so great Gail! I loved Bird Talk! :)

This scrapbook is such an awesome idea. I wish I had something like this for my past 2 decades with Robin. Then again he hasn't really "done" much as compared to The Rickeybird! He (The Rickeybird) is definitely someone who is worthy of a scrapbook of his most colorful life! :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I loved Bird Talk!! I was just given about 50 old issues and I am going to go through them to see if I have these!
How cool is it that the Rickeybird is famous?
How funny they corrected his name, sheesh.
I am so enjoying this trip with you down memory lane.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
RavensGryf... I honestly think just about ANY bird's history is as cool as the Rickeybird's. It just takes a loony owner to hype it up and slap stuff in a scrapbook! And that's where I came in! Yeah, I miss the Bird mags, too... I would wait for them, and then settle down on the couch with the bird, luxuriating in the glossy lovely pages and tales of other people and their birds.

Terry... you're so wonderfully appreciative. 50 issues??????????? I would be hiding in the attic to read them in peace. That way, my oooohs and ahhhhs would be private. The name spelling was so funny. I am quite sure I spelled all other words correctly... but clearly, in their thinking... I was getting my bird's name wrong.

Minerva

Jul 21, 2016
What a wonderful thread and scrapbook! I love seeing the pictures of Rickey through the years. He is SO handsome! ;) And you haven't aged a bit! You must be one of those fortunate ageless creatures. :)

I can't wait to see more of Rickey's scrapbook!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
This thread is totally awesome! I love seeing and hearing all your adventures with Rickeybird! Looking forward to more!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Minerva... you're a sweetheart to say that! He's starting his big moult now... all tail feathers, wing flight feathers, and most body feathers, as far as I can tell. The new feathers are as vibrantly colorful and glossy as when he had his "big boy" moult into adult plumage. Lady Clairol and I try to keep up with him.

Blanca... thank you so much...I usually have to bribe people with coffee and cookies to get them to look at the Rickeybird's scrapbook. Here, people do it of their own free will!

I love following y'all's bird picture histories, too. It's kind of like a weird family reunion with relative I didn't know I had.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Wow what a treat...you and the Rickeybird or stage name Rickybird are famous ...its so lovely you had these mags sadly I never saw them here. Its just so nice that they printed real stories about birds and their owners. This is a really lovely keepsake for you and the Rickeybird and thank you for sharing...its always a special treat to hear about people and their birds :)

Nicky76

Apr 17, 2016
UK
Parrots
Archie the Patagonian Conure and Chilli and Doris the Kakarikis ❤️
This scrapbook is great [emoji3][emoji3] I'm just showing Archie what a fully feathered cousin looks like [emoji6]

❤️ Animals are like little angels sent to earth to teach us how to love ❤️

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Birdigirl... yeah, it was so sad to see the old magazines fade away, but... places like THIS (thanks to the 'net) just really out-did them in terms of community development, immediacy of interactions, all that. I do miss the glossies, though. And the center folds were out of this world. Really!

Nicky... that makes me feel so great. Your story has been one of the most touching and inspiring I've ever read. You know I dote on every post about "The Archiebird", as I call him.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Annnnnnnnnnnnnd...

More from the Rickeybird's Scrapbook. This is from 1996. Sometimes I get a little bit OUT THERE... here's an example. I *DO* tend to be a bit of a free-lance mystic, but this page is in jest. The strange photograph put me in a playful mood! The Rbird has a fresh green chile every day and RELISHES it! And if you are what you eat...

PxjOlNb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
If you couldn't see the Spirit-World-Chile in the previous photo, I should have mentioned that a couple of Margaritas greatly facilitates the experience!

Another couple of pages from the Rickeybird's Scrapbook. I had bypassed these originally because it only showed the bird, not me, but Wrench's thread about Salty's bath inspired me to post these. They are images from our first few years together... 1988-9. He was 4-5 years old here. That was 26-7 years ago.

The first page is just Rickey being beautiful... posing outdoors (yes, clipped, no harness... the breeder assured me that was fine... plus, WERE there even harnesses back in the dark ages? Anyway, rest assured this happens NO MORE).

The second page's first photo shows him mugging and giving you his little beady stink-eye from within a home-made cage. It was all the rage in New Mexico in those days to buy chicken-wire and related fixings, and make a cage right there inside the room. It could be HUGE. It was tricky making it. My husband and I cut ourselves a bunch of times while building, and then ensuring all edges were bird-safe. We had help from experienced friends, and the cage really was an amazing thing... the cage was by a huge picture-window, and its size was a good 6 x 6 feet, leaving room for all manner of branches, toys, bathing areas. We moved later that year, and opted for a conventional cage. Looking back, I'm amazed we ever did such a thing, but we did.

The second page's second photo shows a dripping wet Rickeybird. I love that little "unibrow" he gets when his head is soaked. Somebody who doesn't know birds would be horrified, I expect,wondering what had happened to that poor creature. Salty, I wish the Rickeybird put on a show like yours, but hey, he prefers just to get soaked by diving and even rolling briefly on his back. Maybe it's a Patagonian thing.

sNcw182.jpg
bath with boat.jpg

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Ha ha I love the green chilie spirit...whst Gorgeous pics you have...its so lovely to see them Thank you for sharing. The Rickeybird is quiete the celebrity :)

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
He's a HAM, and I'm his enabler, Birdigirl!

Ummmmm... if you don't mind, I can kinda figure how your other birds got their names, but... how did Mr. Biggles come by his, if I may ask?

Last edited:

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Love seeing all of the fun memories! And reading about the home made cage and other aviculture trends of days gone by. Very interesting. I am so happy you decided to share!

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Its wonderful following the Adventures of the Rickeybird and honoured to meet some of the feathered friends he has had over the years ...lovely pics and nice room too Rickeybird :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts