The screams:(

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
So part of the reason I got a Senegal is because there not known for screaming I live with people who won’t deal with it (to be fair I don’t love it either) his previous owner said he doesn’t scream, but I think I bonded too well with him, I leave the room he screams he sees another person he high pitch squeaks. I wake him up at 11:30am when I’m about to go to work he’s sad when I leave but does not scream, then from the hours of 7pm-12am he’s with me if I leave during this time wether it’s getting a drink or letting my dogs out he screams for me, this is a problem as some of my family members are asleep by 9pm I would bring him with me but sometimes he does his high pitch squeak when it’s dark and I go outside or he sees someone, and I can’t bring him every where, any way he’s like a very different bird from the one I purchased (don’t get me wrong I love him to the moon and back I would never give him up we are besties) but he was fine with any stranger when he was with his previous owner I held him the first day I saw him, not sure want went wrong? Any advice helps.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think I know those high pitched squeaks. Sort of a whistle?

My Jasper does that noise and it was a bad problem for me with my headaches. I figured out that this was an anxiety noise so I worked on reassuring him and comforting him when he whistled. Now we have much fewer whistles but it took a couple of months.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Patient assurance of safety, and perhaps doing some socializing with strangers will help. If you can, harness train him and start getting out of the house and meeting other people with him. All this take time though!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I tell Jasper he’s ok, talk to him quietly, scratch or rub his head. Stay there for a while so he calms down: if I’m Leaving and he makes that whistle I just remind him that he’s ok, or I tell him where I’m going, that I’ll be back soon….

Most Reactions