Tiel holding wings weird?

Mochikospets

Jul 5, 2022
Parrots
1 Cockatiel, 2 conures
Hi there! I have one hand fed baby cockatiel and one adult female, we recently decided to add a mate for her from a breeder. All of his cockatiels seemed in good health, clean cages, everything. He said this boy’s mate flew away, and he was in a cage with a bunch of females and another male. I noticed him holding his wings down/out and shaking right off the bat, pretty weird but I’m a new cockatiel owner... so me being non-confrontational, I took the bird and left. He’s not tame and huffs at me, we knew and were going to attempt to work with him. Now I’m just super concerned because he won’t stop holding his wings out and shaking. He flies around perfectly fine from what I’ve seen, so I don’t think anything’s broken. I’ve added pictures since videos are too large, I can’t find anything online similar except something about dominance? Maybe I’m not looking in the right places? I just wanna make sure he’s okay! I can’t afford a big vet bill right now, so I’d rather take him back to the breeder if there’s something wrong. Please help! Thanks!

Attachments

• A5AF8C7E-DC43-4B55-8DD9-09CC99F21C1C.jpeg
    A5AF8C7E-DC43-4B55-8DD9-09CC99F21C1C.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 367CAA48-CBBE-4EC4-9FF9-5DCF7EA4663D.jpeg
    367CAA48-CBBE-4EC4-9FF9-5DCF7EA4663D.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 99

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think he might be showing your girl cockatiel how beautiful and manly he is. Sounds almost like “heart wings” display to me. This would indicate that he likes her. This is good!

What do you think?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hmm, does he do this constantly? Like not just because he's whistling to the girl or anything?
If he's doing it all the time, I'd say it looks more like his chest or abdomen is hurting, I've had a cockatiel in the past who held his wings just like that all the time and it turned out to be a respiratory infection, though not always fatal it can be for some birds, especially young ones or birds with weaker immune systems if not treated quickly.
My two male cockatiels I have now only do heart wings when they are displaying, if he never stops doing it he's holding them that way for a reason.

OP
Mochikospets

Mochikospets

Jul 5, 2022
Parrots
1 Cockatiel, 2 conures
Hmm, does he do this constantly? Like not just because he's whistling to the girl or anything?
If he's doing it all the time, I'd say it looks more like his chest or abdomen is hurting, I've had a cockatiel in the past who held his wings just like that all the time and it turned out to be a respiratory infection, though not always fatal it can be for some birds, especially young ones or birds with weaker immune systems if not treated quickly.
My two male cockatiels I have now only do heart wings when they are displaying, if he never stops doing it he's holding them that way for a reason.
He’s doing it constantly. Shaking his wings too like he’s uncomfortable. I don’t think it’s any sort of displaying. Thank you for your input, I’ll either end up taking him to the vet or returning him unfortunately :(

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh, I’m sorry. I thought he was displaying to the female. That’s what the pic looked like.

Most Reactions