Tim

Tim Bigelow

Jan 14, 2010
I have to say that my mother like most of our moms will be pssing on some day. I know I will be getting her Yellow naped. She knows he loves me more than even her.
I would like to find a female for him and I want to get another cage to start out with. I don't want to start with a baby(or should I?)

Tim

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
TimBigalowBirdGigolo.jpg

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Tim, keep your chin up, and be strong.
We are also nursing my mom to the end, not long now. You are in our prayers.
How old is your bird.
Oh yeah what is his name LoL.
Bye for now
Take care

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forums Tim.

Would the new cage be for the new bird or for the current one?

Even if his current cage is getting old or isn't the best I'd wait on replacing it for a bit. A lot will change in his life when all this happens, no need to throw in more change if it can be avoided/delayed.

Starting with an adult you could know her behavior better before you get her, and you could introduce the two before deciding as well.

It may sound like a great idea to get him a friend, but proceed with caution as there are things that could go wrong: they might not like each other, they might like each other too much then not like you.

Also a new bird in the home is just one more change to put on the pile, so perhaps this also could wait until he settles a bit.

Of course if you get him a new cage or friend BEFORE you get him then it would certainly make the adjustments easier.

So, I suppose my thoughts in a nutshell are: try to avoid having too many things change all at once. Birds need routine and consistency.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
AD is correct Tim. Parrots do not like change very much, even when it comes to food so you can imagine how it would be for a new cage and new bird all at once. Good luck and I hope it works out for everyone. Hope you Mom is comfortable.

Most Reactions

Latest posts