To adopt or not to adopt..? :green:

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
Find out the last time he had blood work, the vet he sees and see if he has been tested for any diseases (and if so, when).

Thank you for your help!!
I asked if he was seen by a veterinarian. I was told no. I also, am already preparing a quarantine area as well.
So, I will have to get all this work up done! :green: ( he wasnt taken to see a vet because, he wasnt ever sick?)

which is also, something I need to think about. As, I have other birds and dont want to bring one home...That would make my little ones ill or sick.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Find out the last time he had blood work, the vet he sees and see if he has been tested for any diseases (and if so, when).

I asked if he was seen by a veterinarian. I was told no. I also, am already preparing a quarantine area as well.
So, I will have to get all this work up done! :green: ( he wasnt taken to see a vet because, he wasnt ever sick?)

which is also, something I need to think about. As, I have other birds and dont want to bring one home...That would make my little ones ill or sick.

And, they just knew his wasn't sick because he wasn't ill and therefore not sick!?!? Yup, this Amazon clearly needs a new home. Hey, so how do 'they' know that he is a he? Likely because he hasn't laid an egg!?!? YET!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome. If this one truly is a Yellow Shoulder Amazon, you are in luck. They are the parrot of choice in their native range of North Eastern Venezuela coastline area. Not as big as the "Hot 3" and not as feisty either. We love ours, Salty, to pieces and he is a total mamber of our family. He lives in the living/dinning room/kitchen with us, all jumbled together, and thats the way the majority of Amazons like to be, right in the middle of family life. Salty sings ( opera mostly), talks a lot, always adding new words and sounds, and knows oh say 30 or so tricks. He is our little boy. Any family would be blessed bringing a rescue Amazon into their home; if he is a Yellow Shoulder, doubly blessed. If he is 7 years old, he has passed his initial puberty/mating season or almost passed it. Thats when almost all parrots go a bit nuts, as hormones are raging and flushing thru their bodies. Its also the time when a lot of parrots get re-homed or abandoned, as people are not used to a flying can-opener with an attitude where previously their young parrot was still a cuddly baby or pre-adolescent lovebug. BTW Salty is 5 and he went thru puberty relatively easy. Amazons are so much easier to read their body language then a lot of other species/genus. If you study that thread really well ( hint, read it out loud to your Amazon in a soft welcoming voice) you'll be well informed and any biting should be easier to avoid.

Here is what is possible with an Amazon:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUAsXLQFCo&t=332s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUAsXLQFCo&t=332s[/ame]

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020
Hi and welcome. If this one truly is a Yellow Shoulder Amazon, you are in luck. They are the parrot of choice in their native range of North Eastern Venezuela coastline area. Not as big as the "Hot 3" and not as feisty either. We love ours, Salty, to pieces and he is a total mamber of our family. He lives in the living/dinning room/kitchen with us, all jumbled together, and thats the way the majority of Amazons like to be, right in the middle of family life. Salty sings ( opera mostly), talks a lot, always adding new words and sounds, and knows oh say 30 or so tricks. He is our little boy. Any family would be blessed bringing a rescue Amazon into their home; if he is a Yellow Shoulder, doubly blessed. If he is 7 years old, he has passed his initial puberty/mating season or almost passed it. Thats when almost all parrots go a bit nuts, as hormones are raging and flushing thru their bodies. Its also the time when a lot of parrots get re-homed or abandoned, as people are not used to a flying can-opener with an attitude where previously their young parrot was still a cuddly baby or pre-adolescent lovebug. BTW Salty is 5 and he went thru puberty relatively easy. Amazons are so much easier to read their body language then a lot of other species/genus. If you study that thread really well ( hint, read it out loud to your Amazon in a soft welcoming voice) you'll be well informed and any biting should be easier to avoid.

Here is what is possible with an Amazon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUAsXLQFCo&t=332s

Thank you, so much for your help! I love the video too. Salty is a very awesome parrot too!!!

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020

And, they just knew his wasn't sick because he wasn't ill and therefore not sick!?!? Yup, this Amazon clearly needs a new home. Hey, so how do 'they' know that he is a he? Likely because he hasn't laid an egg!?!? YET!

My thoughts exactly but, I cant judge them too much at this point. I am going to make an offer to see when to pick ā€˜himā€™ up. At this point if they say no to my offer. Im just going to hope it isnt a ploy of some sort

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Hi and welcome. If this one truly is a Yellow Shoulder Amazon, you are in luck. They are the parrot of choice in their native range of North Eastern Venezuela coastline area.

Oh, big thing in Caracas for the past 10 years:

Wild macaws have become domesticated and have been flying onto peopleā€™s balconies and into their homes, sort of ā€œpart-time pets.ā€

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA

My thoughts exactly but, I cant judge them too much at this point. I am going to make an offer to see when to pick ā€˜himā€™ up. At this point if they say no to my offer. Im just going to hope it isnt a ploy of some sort

Didnā€™t know you were BUYING him. I thought the owner just wanted him properly rehomed. That puts a little different spin on it.

Please think long and hard.

OP
C

Conurecorner

Mar 1, 2020

Didnā€™t know you were BUYING him. I thought the owner just wanted him properly rehomed. That puts a little different spin on it.

Please think long and hard.

Its a small rehome fee for his cage and not asking something crazy for a rehome. Not really a sale price. if that makes sense :) It would still be a rehome/rescue. But, I am not taking this decision lightly, Thank You for helping me!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts