To plane, or not to plane..?

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
Okay, so heres my delema..

My family and I own a house in California, and we travel there around three times a year, leaving one of my cats and Toulouse with a house/pet sitter who feeds Toulouse and my cat, and plays with Toulouse for a few hours a day. Now, we already bring my dog and my cta down there in the plane, and I would figure Toulouse would enjoy being down there, since I would get her an outdoor aviary and she would be able to spend the day outside, and I would be able to have her out for longer, and spend time with me, etc. Also, whenever I get back from Cali she is oh so VERY mad at me and it takes time for her to forgive me again... BUT, would it be more stressful for her to come on a plane (she would just be under my seat in a travel carrier) or to stay home with a sitter? What are your guys ideas?? I apreciate any help!

Thanks in advance,

Cass

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
If it were me in your situation I would rather take my bird. They get mad at us when we leave them for 1 hr. or 2 weeks.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
The one thing I was always worried about was their ears. Their ears are so little. Will the pressure change in the air harm them?

etse20

Jun 1, 2010
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel & Eclectus
I can't say for sure a bout their ears, but I travelled with both Willie and Lester once and they seemed to be fine; from Chicago to Seattle. They both behaved so well. It was beyond my expectation. Neither of them made any noise during the 8 hours trip, with connection. However, you have to make sure you check with the airlines about their rules for taking birds onboard.

OP
_Cass_

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
Thanks everyone for the input!!! I guess i'm taking her down south next November.
Now I have to find and outdoor cage for her.... Any suggestions...?

madparrotwoman

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Plymouth, UK
Parrots
CAG
hahns macaw
Thanks everyone for the input!!! I guess i'm taking her down south next November.
Now I have to find and outdoor cage for her.... Any suggestions...?

Be careful what mesh you use in an outdoor aviary, I know someone who built one and the mesh caused metal poisoning in her teil - he nearly died. Please take advice first.

Most Reactions

Latest posts