Topps Pellets

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Good Day:)
I switched Moses to the Topps Pellets:)
He was eating the Zupreem since his early youth:)
I notice he prefers the zupreem, he only eats about 10 of the little green pellets a day. He used to put the zupreem in his adjacent water dish, but he does not do that with the Topps?
any advice greatly appreciated:)
God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
lots of Ekkies like to dunk their food in their water. Personally, I Keep my water and my food at opposite ends of the cage to try and simulate foraging a bit more rather than having two adjacent bowls. He hasnā€™t dunked any foods yet. But Iā€™ve noticed he does prefer most of his foods completely ripe and juicy.. So freezing or cooking for a couple of min makes the fresh veg and fruit softer.

Last edited:
OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
lots of Ekkies like to dunk their food in their water. Personally, I Keep my water and my food at opposite ends of the cage to try and simulate foraging a bit more rather than having two adjacent bowls. He hasnā€™t dunked any foods yet. But Iā€™ve noticed he does prefer most of his foods completely ripe and juicy.. So freezing or cooking for a couple of min makes the fresh veg and fruit softer.
Hello Thank you for your reply to my post:) i keep the water and pellet bowls in his nighttime and daytime cage:) for his feeding times cage 7am to 9am and 12pm to 2pm and 4pm to 6pm i keep the water bowls on opposite ends of the cage....he used to dip the zupreem pellets (which i stopped after advice from pet forum users:) now with Tops pellets he does not eat as many and he doesn't dip these smaller pellets in water (actually he consumes and only a green powder is left in the pellet bowl, i am saving them and my wife will make pellet bread (i am told that is a good idea:) again thank you for your advice and in closing my wife prepares fress fruit and vegtables for 4 meals every day:)

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_144012974_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210828_144012974_HDR.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 47

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Hello Thank you for your reply to my post:) i keep the water and pellet bowls in his nighttime and daytime cage:) for his feeding times cage 7am to 9am and 12pm to 2pm and 4pm to 6pm i keep the water bowls on opposite ends of the cage....he used to dip the zupreem pellets (which i stopped after advice from pet forum users:) now with Tops pellets he does not eat as many and he doesn't dip these smaller pellets in water (actually he consumes and only a green powder is left in the pellet bowl, i am saving them and my wife will make pellet bread (i am told that is a good idea:) again thank you for your advice and in closing my wife prepares fress fruit and vegtables for 4 meals every day:)
He is looking lovely. Such a beautiful Ekkie boy. šŸ„°
I did notice that you had wooden dowels as his perches. If you can try to use natural branches or uneven sized ones it gives their feet a natural workout and helps reduce foot/joint issues. (If it helps: I have a buddleia perch, a Java V perch, a flat acacia perch, a fat Bamboo perch ; heā€™s chosen this one to roost on and the red rubber perches in his folding/sleep cage) plus a length of hemp rope he loves to grip and swing on, very enthusiastically.

Last edited:
OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
He is looking lovely. Such a beautiful Ekkie boy. šŸ„°
I did notice that you had wooden dowels as his perches. If you can try to use natural branches or uneven sized ones it gives their feet a natural workout and helps reduce foot/joint issues. (If it helps: I have a buddleia perch, a Java V perch, a flat acacia perch, a fat Bamboo perch ; heā€™s chosen this one to roost on and the red rubber perches in his folding/sleep cage) plus a length of hemp rope he loves to grip and swing on, very enthusiastically.
Hello:) Yes that is a good idea about perches, howevr i am at a loss to find where to buy safe wooden perches. The percehs on amazon are expensive and not very big:( i heard of a pet store in leesburg florida that may sell good wooden perches. Do you have any suggestions as to where to order good wooden perches. I live in florida and i do not trust the tree branches in the area. mostly scrub oak and pine:( thank you again and hope to get advice on perches...maybe i should make a post requesting info on buying perches:) thank you and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Hi, I wouldnā€™t use oak, pine is ok. So is buddleia (butterfly bush) . Birch, willow, huckleberry, citrus, maybe a neighbour has been doing Some pruning.
If you do use branches from your area, wash them thoroughly then bake them in The oven at 180/200 for 20 min to kill any germs. If itā€™s too big for your oven, leave it to dry in the sun . Iā€™m in the UK, so unable to suggest any shops for you, apart from Amazon. They sell large Java perches and manzita perches, and I use this list : eclectusparrotbreeders.com/parrot-safe-plants
Iā€™ve also bought one from a maker on Etsy. Hope this info helps

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Hi, I wouldnā€™t use oak, pine is ok. So is buddleia (butterfly bush) . Birch, willow, huckleberry, citrus, maybe a neighbour has been doing Some pruning.
If you do use branches from your area, wash them thoroughly then bake them in The oven at 180/200 for 20 min to kill any germs. If itā€™s too big for your oven, leave it to dry in the sun . Iā€™m in the UK, so unable to suggest any shops for you, apart from Amazon. They sell Java perches and I use this list : eclectusparrotbreeders.com/parrot-safe-plants
Iā€™ve also bought one from a maker on Etsy. Hope this helps
Hello and Thank you for your advice, florida has many trees but wonder which are safe. i am in north central florida and the citrus trees are basically souht of orlando except for some folks private tree that usually suffers when we get a hard freeze. thank you again and God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
The "parrot safe plants" link didn't work but this did: https://www.eclectusparrotbreeders.com/us/parrot-safe-plants.html

We have Magnolia trees in our yard where I get free branches for our birds. I just lay them in their cages so they rest on the bars of the cage and stick out a few inches. No fastening required. I avoid zip ties whenever possible because I've heard of birds getting their toes caught under zip ties and hurt themselves trying to get free.

Last edited:

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Amazon was a nightmare for me. The perches claimed to be for large parrots and then showed up in the diameter meant for a conure. Thankfully I have prime and could send them back for free. My bird store offers branches and will ask you what type of bird so that they can send you the appropriate size. I have one that goes across my bird's cage from them. The other perches I have don't go the full width of the cage.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
The "parrot safe plants" link didn't work but this did: https://www.eclectusparrotbreeders.com/us/parrot-safe-plants.html

We have Magnolia trees in our yard where I get free branches for our birds. I just lay them in their cages so they rest on the bars of the cage and stick out a few inches. No fastening required. I avoid zip ties whenever possible because I've heard of birds getting their toes caught under zip ties and hurt themselves trying to get free.
Hello Magnolia trees are OK, wow i have several large and small magnolia trees on my property here in pine ridge citrus couny :) i avoid the dead pine tree branches, do you agree ...thank you for your reply and post God Bless

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Hello
I noticed Moses is liking the Tops pellets more than the past, before he gets his morning veggies, he will eat the Tops pellets, lately started dipping in water and I noticed he is peeing more than usuall and larger quantity, my wife says lets watch that as people who pee alot may have a bladder infection , i told her or if they are old like me its a prostate problem and parrots do not have a prostate:))) thanks again for all your help
God Bless
Larry azflcowboy

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hello
I noticed Moses is liking the Tops pellets more than the past, before he gets his morning veggies, he will eat the Tops pellets, lately started dipping in water and I noticed he is peeing more than usuall and larger quantity, my wife says lets watch that as people who pee alot may have a bladder infection , i told her or if they are old like me its a prostate problem and parrots do not have a prostate:))) thanks again for all your help
God Bless
Larry azflcowboy
This is one of those things that without a picture I don't think any of us would know whether to say it is normal or not. Here is a link that hopefully helps on evaluating your bird poop.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
This is one of those things that without a picture I don't think any of us would know whether to say it is normal or not. Here is a link that hopefully helps on evaluating your bird poop.
Hello and Thank you so much for the link on the scoop on poop,very very good
Thank you and God Bless and Merry Christmas:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts