Toy making questions!

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
So I made a toy from some toilet paper rolls that Iā€™d like to fill with paper Easter grass because Iā€™ve seen many toys have Easter grass but I would like to see a second opinion from you guys, and since Iā€™m asking this, toilet paper rolls are fine for them right? (I havenā€™t given them the toy I made yet just in case) Hereā€™s a picture of them in their old/outside cage from 2 weeks ago. (Please do not give advice on the cage or the things in the cage, we do not use this as their cage anymore because we upgraded and weā€™ve learned a lot about cage environments in the past 2 weeks)
B0267E4B-5080-4D7F-A502-A0ABF37323F1.jpeg

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
toilet paper rolls are fine for them, right?
Yaa, they are my bird's love when I make them DIY bird toy that have toilet paper rolls they go crazy over them so they're fine, yaa easter grass are fine I use them when I fill up some toys but its better to use shredded paper

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls are mostly safe... but there's a few things to consider.
First, toilet paper rolls can pick up some nasty bacteria from having been hanging around next to a flushing toilet for a few weeks before it's empty... for that reason I'd recommend sticking with Paper towel rolls.
Second, there are some companies that might use glue or chemicals that aren't bird safe. The only guaranteed safe option is to not use them... but the next best safe option is to only use the cardboard rolls from brands you trust (all natural or premium brands).
That's just my two-cents worth. :)

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
As for the paper grass... technically some grass could have dyes or chemicals that aren't bird safe.... but:
1. My birds don't eat the grass, they just pull it out of whatever it's in and dig out the hidden treats. At most they tear it up and drop it.
2. You can buy paper grass that is un-dyed/natural like this stuff: http://Mrs Fizz Crinkle Cut Paper Shred Filler
3. You can buy paper grass that is guaranteed to be bird safe like this stuff: MakeYourOwnBirdToys CrinkleShred
4. You can look for paper grass that claims it's child safe and that's probably ok. Probably.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls are mostly safe... but there's a few things to consider.
First, toilet paper rolls can pick up some nasty bacteria from having been hanging around next to a flushing toilet for a few weeks before it's empty... for that reason I'd recommend sticking with Paper towel rolls.
Second, there are some companies that might use glue or chemicals that aren't bird safe. The only guaranteed safe option is to not use them... but the next best safe option is to only use the cardboard rolls from brands you trust (all natural or premium brands).
That's just my two-cents worth. :)
Squeek, I'm with ya. I only use paper towel rolls... they're human-safe and can be cut to any length... :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts