Toys are dangerous

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
I think it is a time for me to get thick pair of gloves. I don't know how my CAG manages to do this, but every other day she hangs herself on one of her toys and I have to rescue her. Every time I've got bitten for that.

Now what I really want to say here is that we have to watch our parrots very close when they play with their toys and there are no toys really safe.
For example today my CAG somehow got her cloves inside a ball on toy that was specially designed for parrots. Who could think that a toy like this could be dangerous.

So we better watch our birds playing!!!

here is an image of that toy:
lotosha-albums-tosia-picture8484-20130518-171503.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm sorry your baby is having toy trouble. :(

The picture you posted, there is a potential other hazard, besides the plastic ball where he got his toes caught in. He can get his toes entangled in the frilly cotton rope on the bottom of the toy as well.

But you have a VERY good point! Every toy can become hazardous. It IS important to frequently check toys out thoroughly, especially once they've been torn apart.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
I'm sorry your baby is having toy trouble. :(

The picture you posted, there is a potential other hazard, besides the plastic ball where he got his toes caught in. He can get his toes entangled in the frilly cotton rope on the bottom of the toy as well.

But you have a VERY good point! Every toy can become hazardous. It IS important to frequently check toys out thoroughly, especially once they've been torn apart.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know that rope is dangerous too.
From now I'll avoid those balls and ropes too. I thought that people who make toys for birds would know what's dangerous for them. Apparently this is not the case...

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
I think the biggest problem may be that his nails are maybe too long? The longer a bird's nails the easier it is for them to get caught in things.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
No her nails are prity short due to filing perch. And she also lack 2of her nails since birth. But thanks anyway I'll keep an eye on her nails.

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
I believe anything in the cage has the potential to be dangerous.. But it also depends on the bird.. My Max my older greenwing used to always get his beak stuck on the links of toy chains.. Even if I got the biggest links..he would pinch it in his beak and wedge it in there.. The first few times it scared him.. Last time it happened I walked by the cage and I observed him trying to pull the chain off his beak..he was calmly trying to pry it loose.. When I reached in.. He put his foot down and let me remove it.. It's been about 5 yrs since this happened....

I take what I think is the necessary precautions.. And check on them constantly..

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That plastic toy really isn't designed for birds, it's a toy designed for cats re-purposed for parrots toys.

I don't use any cotton in my toys, I'm afraid the frillyness makes the easier to ingest. Parrots can't pass cotton and it gets impacted! I always go for a toy that uses leather, paper string, sisal and other natural fibers.

I suggest you check out planet pleasures, they are awesome toys! It's also a fair trade company and the toys are made with renewable resources.

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
YIKES!

With Echo he can't have any plastic toys at all because he brakes them in to little pieces and eats them!Even when there proper Macaw toys he still manages to brake them and eat them.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I've noticed some nice looking hanging toys that are made of parts that are considered safe fir birds, but that should not necessarily be part of a HANGING toy. Like that ball in lotosha's photo. Pritti has 3 of those and we use them as foot toys. He loves to roll and chase them around on the floor or bottom of cage, and pick up the smaller ones and have a go at them.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
YIKES!

With Echo he can't have any plastic toys at all because he brakes them in to little pieces and eats them!Even when there proper Macaw toys he still manages to brake them and eat them.

Well seems like Echo has extra powers:) He is a super macaw:)

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
That plastic toy really isn't designed for birds, it's a toy designed for cats re-purposed for parrots toys.

I don't use any cotton in my toys, I'm afraid the frillyness makes the easier to ingest. Parrots can't pass cotton and it gets impacted! I always go for a toy that uses leather, paper string, sisal and other natural fibers.

I suggest you check out planet pleasures, they are awesome toys! It's also a fair trade company and the toys are made with renewable resources.

Thanks for a good ideas for safe toys. Although I've heard that paper could stuck in bird's crop which is also dangerous.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
I believe anything in the cage has the potential to be dangerous.. But it also depends on the bird.. My Max my older greenwing used to always get his beak stuck on the links of toy chains.. Even if I got the biggest links..he would pinch it in his beak and wedge it in there.. The first few times it scared him.. Last time it happened I walked by the cage and I observed him trying to pull the chain off his beak..he was calmly trying to pry it loose.. When I reached in.. He put his foot down and let me remove it.. It's been about 5 yrs since this happened....

I take what I think is the necessary precautions.. And check on them constantly..

I agree that it depends on a bird too. I have a pair of cockatiels one of them is very clumsy and another one is very elegant and smooth in his movements and flight.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
I've noticed some nice looking hanging toys that are made of parts that are considered safe fir birds, but that should not necessarily be part of a HANGING toy. Like that ball in lotosha's photo. Pritti has 3 of those and we use them as foot toys. He loves to roll and chase them around on the floor or bottom of cage, and pick up the smaller ones and have a go at them.

Thanks, I've already took of that ball and rope from the toy, there is only wood now. Hope it will be safer.

Tupelo

May 22, 2013
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo, Age 2
We used to get Cecilia these little sneakers for her to chew, and let it hang from the top of her cage so it wouldn't get soiled on the floor. Her beak got stuck in the sole one day, though I was there to quickly help her. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to suspend the toy, but I still won't buy them again.

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
We used to get Cecilia these little sneakers for her to chew, and let it hang from the top of her cage so it wouldn't get soiled on the floor. Her beak got stuck in the sole one day, though I was there to quickly help her. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to suspend the toy, but I still won't buy them again.

Thanks for sharing this story. I also will avoid those sneakers as a toy.

Most Reactions