Training times?

flyforever

Jul 25, 2013
Hi!
I also posted this in the training forum, but I thought I'd ask here too. :)

I was wondering--how long should a (almost year-and-a-half-old) green cheek conure's daily training session be? When Jade was a bit younger, the sessions usually lasted about five minutes. Right now, they range from several minutes to quite a long time (or shorter sessions several times a day), but after longer ones she tends to get pretty tired. I am wondering if this is a good approach, or if we should refrain from overly long sessions and have a more exact amount of time each day. Thank you!

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
I usually stop my training sessions when Chico won't focus anymore.

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I do the same with Kiwi, and end on a good note

Hayden1987

Apr 23, 2013
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Parrots
Andy a Harlequin Macaw
a pair or maroon bellied conures,
a pair of mulga parrots
Hi there, i have been training animals for film and television here in NZ for eight years, so i hope i can help in some way.. :p
When i am training any animal (or child), i keep the training sessions short.. always end while you still have the attention of the animal and always end on angood note.. never ever push your animal too far.. and if you get to a point that the bird stops.. for example if training recalls... it the bird starts off well at flying 1m but once you hit 1.3metres has a melt down or doesn't fly.. go back to baby steps... take the bird back to 75cm and do 1 or 2 good runs and end the session. And when starting another session start at 75cm and work your way back to 1.3m.. building confidence is the key to training any animal.

P.s you can do as many sessions as you can in a day... when training an animal i for work i may do as many as 10-15 5min training sessions per animal

Goodluck and keep us posted

Most Reactions

Latest posts