trouble with squawking, please help

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
so i'm lucky enough to bring lola (GW macaw) to work where she used to be good as gold, shed let off the odd squawk as expected from a parrot but just recently she is getting worse. i can see people are getting a little fed up with it (which you cant blame them for) and i'm afraid that if she carries on ill have to stop bringing her in which really inst practical for either of us :(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Does Lola have anything to play with while she's at work with you? Is she in a cage or on a stand? You can try switching toys around, give her some new ones. Perhaps she's bored?

OP
S

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
shes on her java tree, i have thought about this myself and went out bought a couple of new toys and she just throws herself off the tree (shes clipped)

that birds too damn clever! after breaking endless bells i bought her a brass one which i thought she couldn't break, she cant, but she can undo the lobster clasp and throw it on the floor! lol

OP
S

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
im not sure if they could be flock calls as now im in an office built onto the main office that puts me out of view?

when i go into the room she completely stops all noise?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
shes on her java tree, i have thought about this myself and went out bought a couple of new toys and she just throws herself off the tree (shes clipped)

that birds too damn clever! after breaking endless bells i bought her a brass one which i thought she couldn't break, she cant, but she can undo the lobster clasp and throw it on the floor! lol

Oh please get rid of the brass bell ASAP!! Brass is TOXIC to birds!
Heavy Metals are Poisonous to Birds

Additionally, she can get her beak stuck on a lobster clasp!

Why not use Stainless Steel Quick Links to attach her toys? If they are tightened properly (with pliers), there should be no way she can undo those, plus they're safe. :)

im not sure if they could be flock calls as now im in an office built onto the main office that puts me out of view?

Yes, they could very well be flock calls if she quiets down as soon as she sees you.

OP
S

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw

Oh please get rid of the brass bell ASAP!! Brass is TOXIC to birds!
Heavy Metals are Poisonous to Birds

Additionally, she can get her beak stuck on a lobster clasp!

Why not use Stainless Steel Quick Links to attach her toys? If they are tightened properly (with pliers), there should be no way she can undo those, plus they're safe. :)

Yes, they could very well be flock calls if she quiets down as soon as she sees you.

wow, and to think i bought it form a parrot specific pet shop. ive seen a tubular stainless steel one im going to get her

how could i try and minimize these flock calls if that is what she is doing?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
wow, and to think i bought it form a parrot specific pet shop. ive seen a tubular stainless steel one im going to get her

how could i try and minimize these flock calls if that is what she is doing?

I LOOOVE the tubular SS bells. My big macs love theirs. Is it something like this?
PT298a Stainless Steel Bell Small, Medium & Large - STAINLESS STEEL

You can try and train her to be quiet(er). Walk away, out of sight, and after a little while (if she hasn't screamed) go back and praise her. You can also reward with a treat. Next time you walk away stay out of sight a tad bit longer. Again, high praise if she was quiet.

Doe she like pine nuts? Even though they're quite costly (here in the US), they make awesome treats. My guys love them with a passion, and will almost do anything to get some.

Almost sounds as if Lola needs to learn to entertain herself a bit. What about foraging toys, does she like those? Something like this perhaps? (It's easy enough to attach to a Java tree)
PT197 Stainless Steel Foraging Cage Large - STAINLESS STEEL

Most Reactions

Latest posts