Trying to get prepared, but it's not working

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I think I've mentioned before that we have a "Chowbrador" (half labrador, half chowchow) named Shelby. We picked her out at the shelter 11 years ago on the same day we closed on our first house. She is the most wonderful dog and so smart she can unzip things...I think she can read and spell. She's so close to everyone in our family, that I swear she'd take a bullet for any one of us.

Given her age when we got her at the shelter (about 4-5 yrs), she's 15-16 now. And her health is failing. I won't go into the details, but it all seems to be beginning to weigh on her.

I know we're soon going to have to make that most difficult of all decisions any pet owner has to make. When I look into her eyes, I know she's emotionally hurting and hopefully I can read her well enough to know that she isn't physically hurting.

I hope we're sensitive enough to know when the right time is here. She trusts us completely to care for her. I'm just heartbroken watching this. :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I wish you and your family the best with Shelby! Its very tough I know.....

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
My heart goes out to you and your family. You have been with this dog for a long time and the lines of communication will let you know, the eyes will let you know and you will know in your heart. Please know that we all care.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
My thought are with you, it is so tough.
You have always been there for her, the good and the sad times.
As a loving mommy, you will be there for her, and we will be here for you

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
15 years is a very long time. Know that you have given her a wonderful loving home, and no dog could ask for more. She will always love you and be with you no matter what! You dog has lived a long and happy life, and I wish you all well. She is trying hard not to leave you, but when the time comes, she will thank you for freeing her of her pain. It will be so hard to let go, but I wish you all the best. She will always be watching over you, and you will see her again someday! *sending hugs*

Ozzy

Sep 28, 2010
Orlando
Parrots
Ozzy- 5 year old Dna'd male Blue Front Amazon
My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. My parents put down our dachshund in August last year due to failing health. It was a very difficult decision but I agree that you can tell when its time.

This may seem weird to non pet lovers but we made a cast of his paw print shortly before his passing (we knew the time was coming) and its a nice keepsake now that he is gone. I lived with him for 11 years before going off to college and the paw print is something small I have with me here in Florida. Just an idea.

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. My parents put down our dachshund in August last year due to failing health. It was a very difficult decision but I agree that you can tell when its time.

This may seem weird to non pet lovers but we made a cast of his paw print shortly before his passing (we knew the time was coming) and its a nice keepsake now that he is gone. I lived with him for 11 years before going off to college and the paw print is something small I have with me here in Florida. Just an idea.

I like this idea! It's a great way to keep a memory of your best friend with you, something that's more than just pictures.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
There's only so much you can prepare, but I can assure you, having been through it, that you will know when it's time. I promise.

And remind yourself that it isn't good-bye forever, you'll see each other again at The Rainbow Bridge someday.

Most Reactions