Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'd like to clear something up because it seems that the original post may have been misunderstood.
We put up this post to protect our teen members from predators,
not from people who may disagree with what the teen posts

Here at PF, members speak up in the bird's best interest because the bird can't do that for themselves. The goal is to help give all the birds whose lives that we may impact here a more fulfilling, happy and healthy life. As long as sound advice is given, no one cares how old the person it came from was.

In that vein, I'll share that I personally don't give advice on a species I've never had in my care. I think that is a good rule to follow for most people, except the very few people who have decades of experience with multiple species behind them. The forum's focus is on helping people and their parrots, and if someone sees something that they disagree with, they need to jump in and give their opinions. Not because someone is a teen, but because they feel like incorrect info is being given.

A good rule of thumb is if you don't know your answer from experience and rely just on Youtube videos and what you've read on the internet, it's better to let someone with actual experience with the issue speak up. The links may help as well, and there is nothing wrong with posting links to videos that you think could help the OP with their question. The problem comes in when someone (of any age) posts what they "think" but post it as if they "know".
The incorrect info given to someone can potentially harm the bird they are asking about, either physically or mentally. This is not what anyone wants, and what everyone should keep in mind when posting to someone needing help.

i am glad someone posted about this because i am a young person my self i am under 18 years old. And some people think that i dont know alot about parrots or that i think i know about parrots.
I hope i dont get any hate for being this young.
You won't receive any hate here for being young. If you do, please report it to a Mod. You may be disagreed with on posts where you give advice if someone feels they need to rebut it; this is something that can and does happen to people, no matter how old they are.

I know how you feel. I had an entire Michigan bird rescue harass me, bully me, and even leak my personal information because of my age and their beliefs that "teenagers are dumb".
Social media idolizes that way too much constantly portraying teenagers being nothing but "trouble makers" and it's sickening.
Not only did I prove a teenager could take care of a parrot, I also proved a teenager can have a heart attack. It may have been cyber bullying, but it was enough to almost blow my heart out.

Just like not all birds are alike, neither are all teens. Most would not be able to handle a cockatoo, and my advice to a teen who came here asking about adopting a cockatoo would be to wait until they are older.
This has nothing to do with me thinking all teens are "dumb", it has to do with the fact that teens lives change so much in a relatively short period of time.

I'm certainly not saying that it can't be done, we have a member here who has had her macaw since she was 16, and was able to make it work to keep him while she pursued her college and her dreams.

Sadly, most of the time it goes the other way, and we see teens heartbroken because their bird has to be rehomed so that they can go to college, or even rent an apartment. This is not only heartbreaking to the teen who has to rehome, but it is also unfair to the bird who now needs to be rehomed.

-The Mod Team-

Last edited:

Levi's Wife

Sep 23, 2022
Parrots
Kirby, a cute Green Cheek Conure
I'm just reading through these and reading everyone's different perspectives on this topic. In my eyes, I don't see a need to announce your age, so I'm not going against this rule at all. I mean we are here to talk about birds right? The younger kids now are just showing off all their personal information and I don't like that at all. You never know what people are TRULY looking for nowadays. I really do appreciate the length that the moderators are going to keep everyone here safe. I've just joined and I've already been exposed to so many different people that love birds just as much as I do and I hope that we all can continue to just talk about birds and what we love, you know? ( I know this was posted a while ago๐Ÿ˜‚)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm just reading through these and reading everyone's different perspectives on this topic. In my eyes, I don't see a need to announce your age, so I'm not going against this rule at all. I mean we are here to talk about birds right? The younger kids now are just showing off all their personal information and I don't like that at all. You never know what people are TRULY looking for nowadays. I really do appreciate the length that the moderators are going to keep everyone here safe. I've just joined and I've already been exposed to so many different people that love birds just as much as I do and I hope that we all can continue to just talk about birds and what we love, you know? ( I know this was posted a while ago๐Ÿ˜‚)
This is written so beautifully, thank you. I'm so happy you joined us and I look forward to watching you and Kirby's relationship grow:)

Most Reactions