Want my bird boy to gain weight

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
Hi. I actually have a mini macaw and not a conure, but mini macaws are much closer to the size of conures than the very large macaws, so I hope no one minds if I post my question here.

I feed my mini macaw a variety of foods. His base food is Harrison's pellets in his cage. I've also feed him lots of fresh fruit and veggies daily, plus some nuts (for example, yesterday in his dish he had fresh mango, fresh Mandarin orange segments, about 4 blueberries, one strawberry, a grape tomato, yellow pepper slice, celery leaves, 4 unsalted pistachios in the shell, and a few almonds). In addition, in his play gym food dish I give him some foods from this macaw mix my goofy husband bought meant for large macaws. He eats some of it, but the smallest enough in that for him to eat is not that nutritious, in my book (some seeds, corn, dried something or other, dried fruit, etc.) He has fresh water in both his cage and a bowl on his play gym. I also give him red pepper flakes, and a small amount of "treat" stuff, like mango yogurt bits, dried peas and green beans.

I think we need to replace that big macaw food with a high quality nutritious but very appealing medium sized bird food, keeping the Harrison's for the cage. He's out of the cage a lot, though does return to it on his own sometimes. Any suggestions for that good medium bird food for his play gym?

We've tried to feed him organic mash and mash cookies, but he doesn't like it. We don't invite him to our meals because he creates chaos. I sometimes give him some (i.e. brown rice, fish, cooked veggie), but he doesn't eat much of it unless he sees us eating it.

I want him to gain weight. He's kind of skinny, though very healthy and extremely active.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
How much does he weigh now? What weight do you think he should weigh? Has his avian vet said he needs to gain weight? Also, is he flighted, and if so, does he fly frequently?

Keep in mind, parrots are deceptive as they look plump when fluffy and quite scrawny when sleeked back. A slim build aids in easier flight and does not necessarily mean your bird is too skinny or underweight. A healthy weight bird who doesn't fly often/at all will be skinnier and weigh less than a bird who does fly frequently. Fat birds don't fly, climb or get around very well. Also having hollow bones means they are light compared to similarly sized animals who aren't designed for flight.

OP
Cthebird

Cthebird

Sep 19, 2017
East coast of USA
Parrots
I now have a young Hahn's macaw. I used to have a Pacific Parrotlet that lived until almost 15. Before that I had a budgie.
My Hahn's macaw is about 156 grams (the best weight I could manage since it's next to impossible to get him to stand still). I read online that the average Hahn's macaw weighs 165 grams. When we first got him at the end of September 2017, six months ago, the avian vet weighed him and he was 150 grams. The avian vet said that was fine. So this is only a 6 grams gain after six six months! That really worries me since I expected more gain, and yet he seems perfectly healthy and happy. We did take him to the avian vet once since then when his eye became swollen because a mini feather got stuck under his eye lid. The vet didn't say anything about his weight then. He will be 1 year old in 8 days. I wonder if a 1 year old parrot should be adult weight. I'd think so, but I'm not sure.

He is not flighted. When we adopted him his flight feathered were trimmed. Actually, it seems very odd that new flight feathers haven't pushed their way out. He has had some new tail feathers, though. But despite not yet flying he is very active.

The first time we took him to the avian vet for his initial check-up the avian vet told us to feel his breast bone. Again, he said it was fine, but if the breast bone got "sharper", it could indicate a weight issue. My husband and I do think it might be sharper, but again, it's hard to know for sure especially since we assumed he'd weigh more. Since he seems perfectly healthy we're not eager to take him to the vet to be charged $200+ dollars, but we do want him to gain weight. I'm hoping that if we find some slightly higher calorie foods that he's enthusiastic about he'll eat more. I don't know. Should we give him a lot more nuts? He has very healthful food available to him (and plenty), but I guess it's not exactly weight gainer food.

Thanks

Last edited:

Most Reactions