Well... I never!

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I have been avoiding allowing little Miss Biterface (AKA Colada) to sit on or interact with my 7 year old daughter for the obvious reasons... I dont want her to bite my daughter.

At first Colada could care less... but as time went on she began to start flying to her and checking her out. I kept removing her. I nervously let her stay there today... and Colada was beyond gentle, my daughter instinctively putting her hand up in front of Colada a few times and not one nibble let alone nip!

I wont ever trust her though, she bites less often now, but she still bites and because she does it less often it is more of a surprise when she does.

Wonderful news they may have bonded as siblings but you are right the bird can and most likely will bite at sometime but forwarned is forarmed so teach your daughter to watch the birds body language and eye pinning for signs of aggression just don't scare her because your bird will pickup on the difference in her attitude. And as I heard a father say to his daughter when a parrot pooped on her and she was crying and carrying on "it's just poop it won't kill ya!"

I can understand your concerns. Better safe than sorry! I'm glad she did so well, though :)

When Colada bites, she grabs a hold and slices, I couldnt bare the thought of it happening to my daughters face! :O
But she has been super gentle with her.
Soup... my daughter isn't the most... how to put it nicely... she has literally run into the side of a moving bus in the past. She isn't the most observant child in the world, she is unlikely to be able to read the birds body language :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back